Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Inside, I'm One Big Joyful Yell*

Yesterday was a big, big day at Blackrock. I have two ridiculously exciting pieces of breaking news:

1) The first ripening tomato has been spotted. I've been red with jealousy at Finny's ripe tomatoes for awhile now, and now I have one of my very own.There are actually a few, and one that should be ripe before we leave. It had better be, because if I miss the first ripe tomato of the season, I shall be very put out. (Name that movie!)

2) Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to announce the advent of the first clothes dryer to ever grace Blackrock. Imagine my excitement, if you can, at the thought of never again having to schlep to the laundromat in winter, not having to race outside to save the almost-but-not-quite-dry clothes from the clothesline during a downpour, and then having to drape them over every available surface inside. I can dry my clothes whenever I want. I'm telling you, I am aquiver with joy. Low standards can be a good thing sometimes. I'm getting so spoiled. What could be next--a dishwasher?

Let's not go overboard, now.

*This is a quote from the book "Farmer Boy," by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Have you ever read this? If not, go read it. It's set in upstate New York. I LOVED the Laura Ingalls Wilder series when I was a kid, and in fact just re-read this book. I find it a little disturbing how much I identify with the lifestyle in "Farmer Boy." Of course, there is one important difference between the Wilders' life and mine. They never had a clothes dryer. And I do. YES!!!

6 comments:

SaraPMcC said...

The Princess Bride.

Ripe tomatoes and a new clothes dryer? You've been a very good girl! Seriously, I'm jealous. There's nothing like a ripe tomato from the garden (I can't wait for our friend to share his cherry tomatoes; they're the best ever). And the dryers in our apartment building never seem to work well. I'd love to have a washer and dryer of my own. This is a great way to start a vacation!

me again said...

Congratulations! I think you need a celebratory cake!

moi said...

Prince Humperdinck, I presume?

It's me said...

Wait! Why aren't you line drying? Like they surely did in "Farmer Boy"? ;)

Yeah. I'll believe the tomato thing when I see a picture of it!

Anonymous said...

1) I am jealous of your ripening tomatoes. I am beginning to think mine will be green until Thanksgiving.

2) Here's to appliances that make you use words like "aquiver!" I still haven't gotten over the joy of owning my own washer & dryer, and I've had them both for 3 years. Does this make me feel pathetic? Yes. Do I care? Not really, because I have perfectly laundered clothes.

FinnyKnits said...

Yay! It's That Day when the tomatoes start to ripen!

To me, way more important than Christmas.

Enjoy your drier, too. That's a must.