Monday, September 8, 2008

Into the Vaults

Hey, remember CDs? Not the financial kind, the kind that you used to rock out to before you got your iPod? Yeah, I don't have an iPod. I'm sure that's shocking news. I still have all my CDs, in one of those big CD books. Two CD books, in fact. I was flipping through them the other day, in search of good music to can tomatoes by*, and I came across some real gems that I had totally forgotten I had.

Sam Cooke--Awesome. My brother made me this compilation. Oh, come on. You know who Sam Cooke is--"Stand By Me." That's who Sam Cooke is.

The Backstreet Boys--That's right. The Backstreet Boys. Go ahead, pass judgement if you must, but we all have our youthful follies, don't we?

Pink Floyd--Unfortunately, I don't really like Pink Floyd all that much. Possibly because I've never been stoned out of my mind. So why did I buy this? Who the hell knows, but I'm all set if I decide to start ingesting hard drugs.

Cherry Poppin' Daddies--Remember when swing music was really popular in the 90s? If you don't, that's probably because it was only popular for about ten minutes. But I have the CD to prove that it was.

George Clinton--Yes, you know who George Clinton is. Black dude with crazy dreds? Guy in his band wears a wedding dress? "PCU"? I love George Clinton. And his P-Funk All-Stars.

Depeche Mode--Classic 80s. Two men and a synthesizer.

Don Williams--Country singer from the 70s. Deep, soothing voice. Like a lullaby.

Top Gun Soundtrack--Kenny Loggins goes into the danger zone.

John Cougar Mellencamp--The man of many name changes. Is he John Cougar? John Cougar Mellencamp? John Mellencamp? Whatever--he sings "Small Town," and that's good enough for me.

DMX--I used to like to go to clubs to dance. Sometimes, when no one is home, I put this on and dance around the living room. The dogs find it a little alarming.

There are many, many more, of course. Some people are of the opinion that music is a window to a person's soul. I would like to know what these people would make of this selection.

What music do you love, in public or in secret?

* I went with Adrienne Young. Kinda bluegrass, kinda folksy. It seemed to fit the activity.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was friends with one of the Backstreet Boys' brothers (Brian Littrell's older brother) in college, and I made out with him once. So that makes me, like, 14% famous, right?

I have that Cherry Poppin' Daddies CD, too - also from the glorious days of college and making out with my friends.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add: Backstreets back, ALRIGHT!

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

PCU is so totally under-rated. I mean, it's no Real Genius, but it's still one of the better college movies.

Someone saw my CD collection once and said, "A bit into the hair bands, were we?"

Geeze, I was a teenager in the 80s, what the hell was I supposed to listen to? It's like Dennis Leary said about bell bottoms in the 70s, "There were no straight fuckin' pants in the store."

SaraPMcC said...

I have four of those books full of CDs and another box full of them (I've burned a LOT of CDs). And I don't have an iPod either; I do have an old school mp3 player that holds approximately 123 songs. Anyway, obviously I have everything Beatles and Paul McCartney. But you'd find some things in my collection that are surprising, I'd bet. One band you'll never find: The Backstreet Boys. Never.

It's me said...

I'm afraid I'm too "all over the place" to have anything good. I actually listen to (in real life) old country (Ernest Tubb, Buck Owens), zydeco, baroque, cumbia (it's Columbian: think accordians and a lowrider) and big band among others. Sinatra? I'm there! Metallica? Rock on! Rob Zombie? Yeah baby!

SaraPMcC said...

Oh, and country. You won't find any country in my collection.

Anonymous said...

I'm embarassed at how much I like Kenny Loggins. I have his greatest hits at home and I think I know all the words to every song. I think he sang the theme song to all of my favorite '80s movies. It's bizarre.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Carrie, I'm so glad you said that. I mean yeah, I like 80s hair bands. But you like freakin' Kenny Loggins. I don't feel so lame now.

Roger A. Post said...

We share one group in common: Pink Floyd. I wish I had Sam Cooke, however. If you are wondering what to do with Pink Floyd sans drugs, try heading out in a helicopter in the morning sun over subarctic wilderness with "Pigs in Space" or "Dark Side of the Moon" playing in your communications headset. It's perfect!

BurdockBoy said...

Hello, just passing through.
I had to chime in on this one. I worked at a lab a couple months ago and a girl put together a mix cd with all of the bad songs that were played over and over in the 80's & 90's. It started out as a joke, but sickingly I think we all enjoyed it somewhat. Vanilla Ice, TLC, tubthumber-It was pretty awful.

It's me said...

Roger Roger (sorry. lame pun)

Try that same thing in an "Imperial Battle Phrog". ;)

Anonymous said...

Drew, if loving Kenny Loggins is wrong... well, we can probably all agree it's wrong AND that I am totally lame. However, I defy you to listen to Footloose and not tap your foot just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you listen to music I've actually HEARD of!

Sam Cooke is fab. My now-hubby gave me a tape when we were dating.

And I listened to John Mellancamp back when he was Johhny Cougar.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

You're on, Carrie. Then you have to listen to Quiet Riot: Metal Health and not bang your head just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I pretty much like all kinds of music. But gotta say my fave is Olivia Newton-John.

I do have Pink Floyd and Backstreet boys in my collection. It's probably been years since i dusted the CD off and played it.

MsPicketToYou said...

for a long time after i left the music business, i didn't listen to anything. NOTHING. well at least nothing on purpose. it was very cleansing really and now, when i get to actually discover and fall in love with a new song or band or musician i get all fifth grade and go completely overboard.

currently: Lori McKenna, Amos Lee, Vampire Weekend and all my old Paul Weller rekkids.

FinnyKnits said...

Well, I love vocal jazz. Especially the ladies: Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Etta James...Not that that's a secret. But I think people think I'm an old lady or weird when they find me listening to it in the car.

And, yes, I still love Dave Matthews.

Also, Italian pop. That's probably the weird secret one.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oh, so many things to respond to . . .

In order:

1) "Real Genius" is one of my favorite movies EVER. I own both it and "PCU" on tape.

2) I would LOVE that mix of the "worst" songs of the 80s and 90s, whatever that may say about my taste. Except maybe Tubthumper.

3) I listened to the "Footloose" soundtrack today--no lie. And Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head" is ON THAT SOUNDTRACK. Common ground for Carrie and Drew! I just love it when my blog brings people together.

4) I didn't know a single one of Ms. Picket's artists, because she's too cool for me. For all of us, I suspect.

5) And Finny? We are not evil twins, because no jazz for me, thanks. And Dave Matthews makes me want to stab myself in the ear with my meat thermometer. But that's just my opinion, of course!

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

So I go downstairs after posting that and guess what my wife is watching on TV? Go ahead, guess?

VH1's Behind the Music: Quiet Riot. Spooky.

Finny, got any Diane Schuur in there?

LiteralDan said...

That's a pretty decent, eclectic lineup. I approve, for whatever that's worth.

Anonymous said...

Alison Krauss

Depeche Mode - always brings back old memories :)

Country, lots of it

Classical, bach, chopin, etc etc

Classic rock, 80s rock

Hmmm.. there's so much! :P

Any song thats got a good beat and makes my toes tingle to dance around, hehe.