Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hello, Country Bumpkin


How's the frost out on the pumpkin?*

Thick, is how the frost is. There was a freeze warning for last night, so we spent the afternoon preparing for a killing frost. I went out to the garden with every intention of covering most of the tomato plants, but once I got out there, I ended up only swaddling three of the Stupice tomatoes and leaving the others to fend for themselves. But not until after I had picked all the tomatoes, green and otherwise, on them. And not until after the tomato plants had stuck me with one more huge harvest to be dealt with.

Process THIS, sucka!

* It's a song--"Hello , country bumpkin. How's the frost out on the pumpkin? I've seen some sights but, man, you're somethin. Where'd you come from, country bumpkin?" Good song. Though the lady dies in the end, and then the "frost is gone now from the pumpkin." Who knew a frosted gourd could be so depressing?

2 comments:

jean said...

I actually put on the heat last night. My husband wasn't going to be home for about 24 hours and I was freezing. He'll never need to know.

goatlady said...

I like that song haven't heard it in years.