Thursday, October 2, 2008

Punk Rock Changed My Life

Oh wait, no. That was Sublime. Remember that line? On the 40 Oz to Freedom album? Remember 40 Oz to Freedom? Do you even remember albums? Oh, forget it.

Okay, now that I've gotten laughably off-track before I even started, let's back up to what has changed MY life. Our clothes dryer. Yes.

Remember when we got the dryer hooked up? That was over two months ago. I used it for the first time on Tuesday. It was like a personal challenge: How long before I cave to the convenience of the dryer? Plus, it's not really necessary in the summer, because I can line-dry clothes. But now that fall has arrived, bringing with it a straight week of wet, cold weather, I found myself with a scarcity of clean socks. So I caved. And oh my God, was it exciting.

First of all, I put a load in the washer, and two hours later, I put it away in the drawers, clean and dry. It felt so very efficient. As opposed to having it all sit out on the line all day, only to get to the end of the daylight hours with a few heavy items still slightly damp and needing to be draped over chairs in the bedroom to finish drying.

Second of all, I didn't have to drive anywhere to dry them. Like I used to in the winter, when I drove to the laundromat 10 miles away. I could do other things while the clothes whirled around. I didn't have to sit there and monitor the time, wishing I was anywhere other than a drafty, dirty laundromat, watching the weirdos and crazies wander around and talk to their underwear. Man, I hate laundromats.

Third of all, I took the clothes out of the dryer piping hot, and they went a long way towards warming up my frosty hands. I haven't started running the furnace or the woodstove yet, and the house is a little nippy. Hugging warm clothes to me is the closest I get to a heat source.

Those of you who have never been without a dryer can only imagine what a big deal it is to have one. Is it strictly necessary? Well, no. But is it OH SO NICE to have?

Hell yes.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

One of my favorite things in the world is taking warm clothes of the dryer, piling them on top of the sofa, and burrowing under them for a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your excitement. After five years of laundromat & shared-laundry-room living, we got our own machines when we moved into our house. That was THREE YEARS ago, and I am still not over how much I love the luxury of having my own washer & dryer.

On the other hand, I really hadn't lived until I experienced the central-Jersey laundromat. YIKES.

Tina Post said...

I do love having a washer and dryer (which we did not have when we first moved into our current hovel). But, I must say, as much as the rural laundromat is sketch-sketch-trashy-yikes, I did grow to love going to the laundromat back in my Brooklyn days. I'd just bring a book and some headphones, settle into a chair, and have a couple of hours of guilt-free relaxation.

SaraPMcC said...

I hate sharing the laundry room. I miss having a dryer (and washer) to use whenever I want to and without dumping a ton of money into it.

jean said...

I love having my own washer and dryer. Nothing beats warm freshly washed sheets. They are so much softer then when air dried. And when it gets cold out, throw your blanket in for a few minutes it will help keep you warm as you go to sleep.

Sweet Bird said...

My grandparents didn't have a dryer until a few months ago. I hated drying clothes at their house in the winter. Although when I was really little all the drying racks made awesome forts.

Anonymous said...

This is how privileged my life is -- I had not been without a washer and dryer in my home in more than 20 years. When we had our fire, I had more laundry than I could do in one washer and dryer, so I went to Mayberry's laundromat. It's a sad place, filled with sad people, and it made me sad. But oh so grateful to be back home in my house doing laundry one load at a time.