Monday, October 13, 2008

Q&A at G.C.--The Finale

Let's wrap this up, shall we?

Does A. ever get jealous that you get to stay home all day while he must work for THE MAN?

Yes. Wouldn't you? Though the fact that I provide him with breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, as well as a steady supply of clean underwear, goes a long way towards placating him.

Are you planning on ever getting goats?

No. And frankly, I don't see the appeal in goats. Goats were a big fad for awhile, but I just don't get it. They can be cute, I guess, but they're much more mischievous than sheep, and also harder to keep contained. I feel no need to get any kind of dairy animal, because A) I don't want to have to worry about milking every day, because we all know who THAT chore would fall on around here and B) I don't like goat cheese. Tastes like a barnyard. Yuck.

Do you have bat problems in the winter--do bats hibernate or go south with the birdies? So when you go down to the Pit of Despair do you have to fight the bats for the food?

No, thank God. The species of bats in our attic go south in the winter because all the bugs they eat die up here. So there will be no more episodes of "BAAAATS--A Blackrock Miniseries" until spring. I knew I liked winter for a reason.

So what do you plan to make with all those potatoes?

A sampling of our meals for the last few days: Beef stew with potatoes; ham, collards, and mashed potatoes; steak, salad, and french fries. Are you getting the idea?

Potatoes can be canned, but they also store fairly well in our cellar, so we'll see how fast we use them. I'd rather avoid canning them if possible.

"Bright Lights, Big Ass"??? What is this book about, please?

It's another memoir thingie from Jen Lancaster, the author of "Bitter Is the New Black." It's about her life in Chicago. It's fairly funny, though she can get annoying. Funnily enough, it's written in a style not unlike a blog. Though a little more coherent. Well, more coherent than THIS blog anyway--I can't speak for others.

If you don't get to see movies very often, and this was your one chance to see anything you wanted...Why'd you go see that pile of crap? (Note: This is in reference to the movie "My Best Friend's Girl.")

First off, I do like chick flicks. I'm heavily into escapism. However, this wasn't a typical chick flick. It actually combined the worst cliches of a chick flick with the bathroom humor of a dude movie. Now, I like dude movies, but this movie was just . . . kind of offensive. AND YET SAPPY. It did not work well. But I mostly went to see it because my other choices looked either depressing or violent, neither of which I enjoy. And this one was playing at the right time.

Would you be averse to a free cell phone?

Yes, Mom, I would be averse to a free cell phone. What do I need a cell phone for? I'm almost always home, and I just don't like cell phones. I think people rely on them too much, so they don't plan ahead enough. I like making people accommodate me and my cell-phone-less life. Plus, I HATE how people talk on them all the time, everywhere. If you're one of those people, KNOCK THAT SHIT OFF. I don't want to hear about your bastard of a boyfriend or, worse, your incredibly boring job and your oh-so-important meeting. This is one reason I really hate sitting in airports. But thanks for the thought, Mere!

Okay, I think I got them all. Are you all heartily sick of me and the details of my life? Yeah, me too. And thanks for playing!

Signing off to spend one last morning with my sister before she goes home,
Kristin

6 comments:

Susan said...

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a blog (besides your material, of course). It's about airport cell conversations, by Crazy Aunt Purl: http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/07/airport_fun_gam.php

Tina Post said...

Do tell your sister it was nice to meet her... and safe travels back home.

Anonymous said...

Amen on the cell phone! I only got one a month ago because of a stranded by the side of the road with the baby incident...long story and yes I do know how to change a tire. Anyway so now I own one, have turned it on once and that was to activate it. I use it as a good luck charm, hang it from my mirror, figure now that I have one my car won't break down ...Murphy's Law and all. Then again if Murphy is correct it will only break down in a tunnel or top of a mountain pass where there is no cell phone reception, figures.

jean said...

I love my cell phone. I was against it for the same reasons you mentioned but once I had it, I used it - a lot! Now I even have texting, which is wonderful too. I feel very modern, which at my age is a small miracle. Having said that, if I had to give it up now, it would probably bother me for a few days but I would adjust. It's just a nice luxury, not a necessity.

It's me said...

Uh oh... my cell phone is attached to my ear. As soon as I leave work, I call somebody in my family to just "touch base"... not sure why, but it makes me feel connected and I need that. Also, YoungSon sends pictures from the fireline and it's like being a cool-guy firefighter myself... without the danger. ;)

PS. I canned six quarts of potatoes this weekend. They don't hold in the basement for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I liked "Bitter is the New Black." I read it while I was unemployed (and on unemployment) so it made me feel like less of a complete loser. And you reminded me that I wanted to read the Big Ass one. Thanks!

I understand your aversion to cell phones. We recently made my mom get one and it really does her a lot of good... laying on the counter at her house because she never takes it anywhere.