Monday, November 24, 2008

The Walls Weep

I know that title sounds terribly literary and promises some kind of beautifully written story that's damn near poetry. Unfortunately, this is me and my life we're talking about, and poetry rarely enters into it. In this case, it is the literal truth that the walls were weeping. Allow me to explain.

Two of the four walls in our bedroom are both external walls, which means they're stone, and north-facing, which means they're colder than a witch's . . . nose. Cold like radiating cold. The room is unheated, except for a space heater that is only meant to keep it from being literally freezing in there. So these cold walls that radiate the cold into the room also suck warm air out.

It's all very pleasant.

Especially because one of these cold stone walls is directly behind the head of our bed, and when we sleep at night, condensation forms on the wall behind us. Imagine, if you will, the fun of reaching behind you when half-asleep to readjust your pillow and brushing against a freezing, wet surface. Cozy.

However, this is something I have come to accept and deal with. In the morning I pull the bed away from the wall, swipe at the wall with a tissue, and it's dry by the time we go to bed that night. Until this weekend.

This weekend we reached a whole new level of wet. I guess it's because the temperature dropped so sharply so fast, and then stayed cold for awhile. Whatever the reason, the stone walls in our bedroom were weeping moisture. The condensation was literally running down the walls. The whole wall was wet and dripping. Wiping them down didn't help. The space heater didn't help. Leaving the door open to circulate air didn't help. Friday night, I couldn't even sleep half the night because my head was so cold, and when I got up on Saturday, I realized my hair was damp from the moisture and our pillows, sheets, and down comforter were wet.

AND, the paint on the walls, the pretty paint that I just applied a few months ago, was starting to bubble and blister. Oh, HELL no. That was NOT okay. Discomfort I can handle. Damp sheets are gross, but manageable. But allowing our newly-painted walls to get all cracked and wretched again was not an option.

This called for serious measures. This called for the brilliant problem-solving abilities of A. Who decided that the best way to dry the room out would be to close off all the heating ducts in the house except the one that goes to our bedroom, and blast all the power of the furnace into that one room. Which is what we did on Saturday night. It was the first time the furnace had been turned on in about a month, and the first time EVER that our bedroom was even reasonably warm. Not tropical or anything--we still slept under our usual flannel sheets, two wool blankets, and the down comforter--but when I got out of bed in the morning, my whole body didn't automatically clench into a full-body shiver because of the cold.

And the walls were dry.

Alleluia and praise A.'s precious name. Worth his weight in pie, that man.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kind of cold PLUS the wet, freezing walls would have broken me. Right in half. I am not a hardy sort when I'm cold.

Our house is the opposite - dry as a bone in the winter. Deadly static electricity, nosebleeds ahoy, and sopping wet jeans that dry after hanging for only 2 hours (that's the only cool part).

SaraPMcC said...

Holy crap, man. I would cry. All the time. I remember one time, due to lots of snow, our neighbor's tree crashed down in our backyard, taking the power lines with it. While our mom and our brother went out to a party (probably at a warm place), my sister and I sat in the heatless house, huddled together in one chair. I slept in my hat, scarf, and gloves that night. And I probably cried. And I didn't even have to deal with my walls being wet.

It's me said...

OMG that made me cold just reading it. I feel terrible for you. Like Jiveturkey says, cold is one thing, but cold AND wet. Yikes.

Roger A. Post said...

Closing off all the heating ducts except yours - does this mean that you froze the MiL? She will deserve an extra ration of single malt today.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

The MiL doesn't have any heat going into her room, and hasn't ever, as far as I know. She said she doesn't need it. We don't spend a lot of time in our bedrooms. We pretty much dive under the covers at night, re-emerge in the morning, and get the hell out of the iceboxes as fast as we can.

Sweet Bird said...

Just so you know, I want to see that much pie in one spot at some point in my life. I want to actually witness a man's weight in pie.

Once, at a time when I was very stupid (at least more than I am now) a friend and I indulged in a little blankety blank and then ate a whole pie, in one sitting, with our fingers.

Ahh...memories...

Anonymous said...

Ah, you make country life seem so romantic and charming.

Seriously . . . wet cold walls? You deserve a medal.

MsPicketToYou said...

at least the walls weren't, you know, bleeding. i think i saw that once in a scary movie, though tonight when the heats kicks in upstairs, i will try to fan some heat your way.

ps: the past two days a fox (!!) has been wandering around my back yard and deck. naturally, i thought of you and realized that i seriously needed to buck up. so to speak.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Well, Ms. P., if it's a rabid fox, you should not so much "buck up" as "run away." Just a thought.