Wednesday, November 26, 2008

When Targeted Marketing Goes Wrong

We're hosting 22 people for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I prefer to ignore that fact (and the floors that need to be mopped) at this moment, and instead discuss . . . Sesame Street.

I got an interesting bit of spam in my Inbox yesterday. It was an exhortation to not miss my chance to buy tickets for a show called "Sesame Street Live: When Elmo Grows Up."

There are many, many things wrong with this.

I have purchased tickets to a show at this particular venue before, so you might think they just send out announcements for all their shows to anyone who's on their buyer's list. Except I went to that show* a year ago, and this is the first such announcement I have ever received.

Last time I checked, I do not have children. (Despite my particular kind of Dog Crazy, I do realize that Mia is not my child, thankyouverymuch.) I would have serious doubts about any adult who goes to a show called "When Elmo Grows Up" unaccompanied by someone under the age of, say, seven years of age. Unless Elmo grows up to become a crack dealer or a male prostitute, this is not an age-appropriate show for me. I don't think I'm the demographic they meant to target.

And anyway, does this not sound like the stupidest idea for a show EVER? I mean, come on. I would much rather see what happens to Oscar the Grouch. Does he ever get out of his garbage can? Do the worms go with him? Does he go to a therapist and discover a new, sunny outlook on life?

Which Sesame Street character would YOU like to see a sequel for?

*"Phantom of the Opera," and A. had to go with me. We went out to eat at a kick-ass German restaurant afterwards. Someone later asked how he liked the show. He said he liked the sausage. He's a great one for culture, that A.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the world needs to see what happened to Bert & Ernie. I like to think they moved to Napa, opened a winery & an Etsy store on which Ernie sells his handmade toaster cozies, and adopted twin girls.

Chiot's Run said...

I would like to see something with Snuffleupagus. He was always my favorite as a child and I thought we have never on nearly enough!

Anonymous said...

You're funny....then again that is the reason for my daily visit I suppose.

I love Ernie (so much he even snuck into my recent pomegranate post) I want to know if he still sings those silly little ditties like 'rubby ducky' 'if I could live on the moon' and 'do the duck'...my personal fave. Does he now have a recording contract and live in a big mansion? Does he have big gold ducky bling that he wears around his neck?

Does he still wake up buddy Bert by playing the drums in the middle of the night? Did Bert have to go on anti-depressives that he takes every morning with his oatmeal?

Did either find a wife? Prarie Dawn seemed like a nice girl.

Then again the thought of Bert and Ernie growing up makes me sad. As sad as the fact that my own children are growing up and soon will no longer think Bert and Ernie are nearly as funny as I do. OK, thanks Kristin, starting the day with a lump in my thoat and misty eyes...ughhh

MsPicketToYou said...

Oscar the Grouch for sure. I envision him finally coming out of the closet and realizing his inner diva at last. It would be a musical naturally. Lots of songs about tolerance and acceptance and love. Maybe a duet with Cookie Monster, who after years of overeating, has found therapy and a good nutritionist.

Since we live in MA, and are down with alt lifestyles and stuff, the kids could totally go. In fact, if it ever gets produced, maybe you'ld want to take them?

Happy Thanksgiving Kristin!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kristin and to the MIL. Will see ya at Christmas barring any car accidents on the way up. *grin*

Speaking of culture...i was just watching the Jay Leno late night show and they were doing a "history lesson" with two women from Hooters. I had a hysterical moment when the gals got confused about Turducken. They were thinking it was similar to incest then interacial mixing which explained the turkey, duck, and chicken mix.

BettyWestern said...

Big Bird - has osteoporosis finally set in?

Cookie Monster - Has he developed late onset diabetes?

krysta said...

cookie monster! i imagine him doing a indie movie about rehab/gastric bypass/plastic surgery and having self esteem issues dircected by an early david fincher. very dark and brooding.