Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Birthdays at Blackrock

I believe in birthdays. I think everyone should have a big fuss made on the day of their birth and be totally spoiled, if only for that one day. In A.'s case, that meant a quiet dinner without a lot of people to be raucous and sing loudly. But it had better be a damn good dinner. And it was.

In celebration of A.'s birth, we had rack of lamb, twice baked potatoes, and acorn squash.


Damn, I'm good.


The dining room table was set with the family silver, the napkins embroidered with the family initials, and the Harvard Plates (purchased by the last wealthy Harvard alumnus in the family--and the last wealthy family member, for that matter--and depicting a different Harvard building on each plate). Because that's just how we play it at Blackrock.


Martha ain't got nothin' on us.

The MiL outdid herself making a four-layer yellow cake with buttercream and homemade blackberry jam between each layer. Except I didn't get a photo of it. Whoops. So you'll just have to trust me when I tell you, it was impressive AND delicious.

A. got some really good presents, most of them sheep-related. My personal favorite is a mug my parents found printed with the words, "I like sheep better than people." Indeed.

The next birthday, on the 27th, is mine. But I'm making A. take me out to dinner, so the Harvard Plates can stay in the cabinet for the celebration of MY birth.


How do you like to celebrate birthdays?

10 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

Mr Chiots and I use any excuse to buy a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. Usually we celebrate in a low-key way, just a nice meal. We don't do presents.

Anonymous said...

Booze. A lot of booze.

Susan said...

Um, how do I like to celebrate birthdays? At Blackrock, duh. Look for me around August 11th. You are awesome!

And, as Sara says, booze. A lot of booze.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, no kidding, Susan - from now on, I'm spending birthdays at Blackrock, too! Kristin, see you in March!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are quite the domestic Godess!

I like to celebrate by having hubby the the kids do the dishes and by having raisin pie for dessert I know....just call me a rebel, I can take it!

Unknown said...

We go out to dinner at the restaurant of our choice.. and my folks pay! Over the years, with grandkids and all choosing, it's made for some interesting choices!

Unknown said...

that rack of lamb looks amazing! very impressive. I like to celebrate my birthday by making my friends come over and eat lots! I have thought about making everyone go snowshoeing or cross country skiing but I try to avoid outdoor activities after my traumatic 10th birthday where a friend broke her leg sledding down hill at my grandmas! it was quite a downer to have an ambulance at my birthday party!

Anonymous said...

I really don't care about birthday presents either - for me it's all about the celebration. Nice meal, some drinks, being around people I like.

That being said, if my parents didn't give me a birthday present every year, I'd be SERIOUSLY PISSED.

Anonymous said...

Oh, also? KICKASS DINNER. You win wifedom.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I dreamt about your twice baked potatoes last night.

I think from now on I will be celebrating my birthday by eating my weight in twice-baked potatoes.