Friday, March 19, 2010

In the Kitchen at Blackrock

Our kitchen is a multi-purpose room. We cook and bake in there, of course, but you just never know exactly WHAT is cooking or baking. If something is on the stove, it could be a saucepan of nasty chicken skin boiling for the dogs or a big pot of water heating to hand wash wool sweaters. And if something is in the oven, there's no guarantee that it's for human consumption. Like this, which I baked yesterday:

Any guesses?

Despite the resemblance to crushed Oreos (mmm, Oreos . . .), you wouldn't want to try eating that. It's potting soil. I baked it for sterilization purposes, to make sure there are no evil cutworms in there that will spring forth and attack my fragile seedlings, as was my sad experience last year.

Now A., on the other hand, managed to produce something entirely edible yesterday. Not only edible, but delicious. He decided it was about time we had a dessert. And since he's always wanted to try Crepes Suzette, he made that.

Now, I do not know who Suzette was. But if she ate this dish with any regularity, she must have been a hefty woman. Crepes Suzette is (are? weird grammar thing there) crepes topped with a sauce made with obscene quantities of butter and sugar, plus orange juice, orange liqueur, orange rind, and brandy. It was buttery and citrusy and YUMMY. A. even did the thing where he lit the brandy on fire to burn off the alcohol. I was expecting a big dramatic flash of flame, but it was just a subdued blue flame that burned off quickly.

No matter. Despite the lack of flaming brandy, the whole thing was pretty impressive. And much more satisfying than my baked dirt.

8 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Impressed as always by the things A makes! Sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

In my next life I will be looking for someone to cook FOR me. I am gonna try mil's rice pudding in the crockpot. I made some regular rice the other day using the leftover broth from the corned beef I made in the crock pot in the morning. Best rice I have ever had.
Beth

word verification 'rasta'

cheer for linguini

FinnyKnits said...

Oh! Flaming dessert!

*That* is fancy.

Though, I'd wager baked soil is also pretty fancy fare for seedlings, too.

Alicia said...

As the resident grammar nerd, the verb you were looking for was "are". (Just look at the next word in the sentence: crepes, plural.)

Also, that makes me incredibly hungry and wanting to have married a man who could cook more than frozen pizzas. :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Alicia: Yes, I am also a grammar nerd (and former proofreader and editor), and I think a case could be made for "Crepes Suzette," the subject of the sentence, being a singular group noun. Since it's a singular dish, despite the plural "crepes" in the name.

But I'm not going to make that case, because I am retired and no one is paying me to care that much about these things anymore. Yay!

jean said...

I've wanted to do the same with my soil but I've been hesitant because I heard that it stinks up the entire house. What temp did you use and for how long?

Chiot's Run said...

I make my own seed starting mix, I use equal parts vermiculite and peat moss. I've never had trouble with cutworms, or any diseases, etc. And it's much cheaper than buying it.

I do use compost in my potting mix, but I don't sterilize, figure my plants should be able to make it if not, they were weak :) Good think I don't have kids huh!

The dessert sounds good, Never made them, but we do love some crepes stuffed with fresh fruit & yogurt.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh cutworms!!!! they are the worst! No redeeming qualities whatsoever! I hate the evil creatures! I do really like oreo's though