Thursday, April 22, 2010

Of Potatoes and Satan

We took Cubby to the doctor yesterday for a weigh-in (13.5 pounds--pass the peanut butter on bread, please) and vaccinations. He wasn't too bad during the vaccinations. I mean, he screamed of course, but then, so would I if someone was shoving three six-inch needles into my legs. He stopped screaming relatively quickly, however, and then fell asleep. Then we got home. And he woke up. And OH MY GOD, the shrieking. I began to wonder if they had injected him with some substance to transform him into the spawn of Satan. I think he just had a low fever, though, and wasn't feeling particularly well. It only lasted a couple of hours, but that was DEFINITELY enough.

And speaking of Satan, thank God (you see the connection? TOTALLY makes sense) the MiL drove up to Lake Placid on Tuesday to the Cornell potato farm to get our seed potatoes. Not only am I glad to have potatoes to plant, but she always gets way too many, so we can eat them. And after three whole weeks of nothing but one bag of store potatoes the MiL brought home--which were mealy and tasteless and so vastly inferior to our delectable tubers that they should be called faux-tatoes--we had some of the Bake Kings last night and I entered Nirvana.

The end.

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

"faux-tatoes" nice.

Anonymous said...

Now, don't forget the more of those you plant the more you will have .......to keep in the pit of despair, dungeon of doom, the depths of delight, the basement/cellar deal you have. :) The more you have the longer they'll last. Hopefully , till next year when you can plant what you have left, instead of buying seed every year. Just keep the small whole ones(they are a lot less likely to rot than cut ones) to plant in the spring. And if you can get the ground worked up you can plant them in March, hence earlier new potatoes. Woohoo. No more 'fauxs' needed. Beth

word verification 'doweab'


fat man's belly area

doughy abs

Chiot's Run said...

Oh, I'm missing potatoes as well. Hopefully I planted enough to get me through next winter. I refuse to buy them at the store, I'll eat rice or something else instead.

Alicia said...

For a camping trip last week, I chopped 15 pounds of potatoes. Pretty sure I never wanna see any potatoes ever again.

FinnyKnits said...

So, speaking of potatoes, when do you know they're done growing so that you can start harvesting?

I ask because I heard it's when their flowers bloom and, well, I'm concerned because they've now reached the top of the fourth tire and show no signs of blooming or dying, so I'm not really sure how long to keep these babies going.

Nice going on the faux-tatoes. Funny lady.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Baby potatoes--the ones called new potatoes in the store--can be harvested when the plants bloom. On most varieties, anyway. We grow a long-keeping variety that stays really hard and pretty much uncookable until the end. Probably the varieties you have could be harvested in the baby stage. You can just dig out some of the little ones with your hands and keep the plant growing.

The potatoes are done growing when the plants die down. Then you cut away the foliage, so if any fungus or anything is on the foliage, it doesn't get on the potatoes. Then you dig them up.

So you probably have awhile to go yet with yours.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Really? Store-bought potatoes are bad? Really?

I don't like this notion of missing out on a better food. I've already started rendering lard . . . I'm not sure I can grow potatoes, too.

Maybe you could mail me one and I could taste the diff ;-)

PS Do you hate commenters who say "diff" and use emoticons? I do.

Daisy said...

Potatoes - I don't grow them, but they sure taste good from the farmers' market.

Just Me said...

You know, I discovered your blog through a link on a friend's. And so you know, it is one of the most magnificently wonderful things on the internet. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

0, tetracycline,