Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's Tomato Time!

I was so caught up in talking about my new cocktail yesterday that I failed to mention the real news: The tomatoes are in.

Well, SOME of the tomatoes are in, anyway. I spent a large part of Thursday digging up the tomato area, hoeing it, and constructing the tomato supports. Then I planted a dozen of my own seedlings that night, when it had cooled off. All of this left me feeling yesterday as if I had come out the loser in an encounter with a Mack truck (in other words . . . OWWWW), so I had to take yesterday off. But today I'm going to pick up some more seedlings from a local nursery (I buy my Romas and San Marzanos--we don't really have enough space to start enough seeds for two dozen tomatoes). Also basil and hot peppers. Then, if the weather stays cloudy but not actually rainy, I'll plant them. And then I'll make myself a Slippery Sidecar and collapse.

Well, as much as I can collapse while still hauling around the giant infant.

5 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Hooray for tomatoes! We are on a very similar schedule, though it is supposed to get in the 90's here this weekend and I'm afraid my seedlings will croak in the heat if I put them in today.

sweetbird said...

OK, I couldn't do what you do on a normal basis. I just don't have the stamina for it - but with an infant child?!

I hope A realizes how incredibly bad ass you are.

Anonymous said...

Yah, Kristin, bad ass ! Beth

jean said...

Are you taking any precautions to avoid the blight this year? I'm nervous about even putting in tomatoes.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We rotate plantings every year, and in a climate as cold as ours, the fungus is killed in the freezing temperatures of winter. Also, I think it's going to be a hot, dry summer, so it won't be ideal conditions for the blight, like the cool and wet of last summer.

In sum, I think it'll be okay.