Monday, May 17, 2010

Paying Up

So. A few nights ago, Cubby slept through the night for the first time, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. Of course, I did not sleep that whole time. Mostly because I woke up at four in the morning, looked at the clock, and immediately assumed the baby was dead because WHY DIDN'T HE WAKE UP TO EAT AT TWO?

He wasn't dead; he was just tired.

But I knew I would pay for that one night of uninterrupted sleep. It didn't happen the next night, when he slept from 7:30 p.m. until 3:30 a.m. And it didn't happen the night after that, either. No, payback arrived last night, in the form of a zonked out Cubby at 7:15 p.m. who subsequently woke up screaming for milk at 8:15 p.m., midnight, 3:30 a.m., 5 a.m., and 7 a.m. He fell back asleep after each feeding, but a fat lot of good that does me when the feedings are two hours apart.

He'd better get REALLY BIG after this growth spurt. I want to see some results for all my hard work, dammit.

But lest I sound too bitter, I should mention that when he woke me up at 7 a.m., I was in the middle of a dream in which I was giving him for unknown reasons (like, for good, for adoption or something) to people who were about to feed him formula, and (in the dream) he was staring at me with his big blue eyes and I just felt so sad that I wasn't feeding him.

Then I woke up to those big blue eyes (and that big screaming mouth) and didn't feel sad anymore. Just tired. But I'll take the tired over the sad any day.

9 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

Your posts make me so melancholy in a way. I only nursed Kate for 6 weeks, but I nursed Parker for 10 months and they were the most wonderful 10 months of mothering ever. Enjoy it, savor it, every moment, because it goes so fast.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

IM IN UR DREEMZ WANTIN UR BOOBEEZ



(Dear lord I hope you've seen LOLCATS or that's going to sound really strange.)



Word verification: ackirr -- sound I make when I wake up and have my morning stretch

Alicia said...

Just think--when he's older, you'll actually MISS this crap.

Anonymous said...

When do you get to supplement with cereal?

Mary in MN who has never had a baby but feels your fatigue! Well, I do have a husband with an infected throat who woke me at 3:30 to moan for the throat spray. That's baby enough.

Sara said...

Wow. That's a crazy dream.

sheila said...

Damn that kid is good. He's laying a guilt trip on you even in your dreams.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Anon mentioned cereal. You might want to check out Real Food for Mother and Baby before that. (Sneak preview: Babies shouldn't eat cereal. At all. They can't digest it.)

Anonymous said...

Forget cereal anyway...he'll probably be eatin' tomatoes , zuchinni and the rest before the summer is over. Beth
and Dehroooo all men think like that don't they? Don't blame it on the lol cats. ;)

rls said...

Haha, I love those weird baby dreams.