Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Let's Recap

My sister is leaving this afternoon to go home to Tucson. Since she arrived on Friday, she has:

1) Helped dispose of a deer carcass.

2) Weeded my carrots and lettuce beds.

3) Let the chickens out of their coop in the morning.

4) Stayed with Cubby for three hours so A. and I could go out to lunch.

5) Washed dishes at least six times.

6) Prepared and delivered drinks at cocktail time.

7) Entertained Cubby innumerable times so I could hang laundry/make breakfast, lunch, and dinner/take a shower/go to the bathroom.

8) Changed multiple diapers, including a spectacular atrocity that required an entirely new outfit.

9) Helped A. install the new water pump that miraculously arrived yesterday afternoon. (Alleluia! We have water again!)

10) Brushed the horribly molting cat for about half an hour.

11) Accompanied me to Target so she could haul Cubby around while I shopped for various and sundry necessities.

12) Broken up a dog fight over a rotisserie chicken that had very foolishly been left on the floor while we were unloading the car yesterday, and then kicked the offending dogs outside.

There's more, but really, she's helped in too many ways to list. I tried to convince her to stay, but she seems ready to return to her own house, her cat, her job, and her boyfriend. I can't say I blame her. I mean, how many people will fly three thousand miles for a "vacation" that involves ceaseless labor? It was more a vacation for me than for her.

Ain't nothin' like kinfolk.

4 comments:

jean said...

If she is anything like me, nothing she did beats getting to see nephew Cubby. It must be hard for the both of you to be so far away from each other. Dead deer and fighting dogs are not deal breakers. Although from the sound of it, that diaper might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Just Me said...

I'm sure she had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a wife...hee hee.
She loves you all tons.
And all that she did is so different from her usual routine that really it was a vacation for her brain at least. She seems to be a go get 'em type. Beth

FinnyKnits said...

She is the nicest sister I can imagine. And, sounds like, pretty talented, too.

Meanwhile, you've sort of given a whole new meaning to "Staycation". You stay home and bring the vacation in. Nice going.