Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why I Will Never Write a Cookbook

I cannot for the life of me provide clear, detailed instructions necessary for another person to replicate what I cook. And that is because I am not a very good follower of recipes, and I very rarely make anything the same way twice.

It's a failing I've learned to live with.

However! Let it never be said that I do not respond to cries for help when it comes to salsa-making! Someone* asked for my salsa recipe a couple of days ago. More than one person in the past has also asked for my salsa recipe. I, in turn, asked the MiL's sister (she of the prolific green beans) for HER salsa recipe when I started canning it a few years ago. And, being a woman after my own heart, she told me she never uses a recipe. But she did tell me what she uses in it and the rough method. I can do no less for my loyal (though annoyingly Anonymous) readers.

So, without further ado, I present:

Kristin's Salsa Method that Is Not a Recipe

I must first state that this salsa is only safe for pressure canning. If you only can with a hot water bath canner, you can't can this salsa. It isn't acidic enough. In fact, salsa was the reason we got a pressure canner; I find the salsa recipes suitable for water bath canning disgustingly vinegary. I like vinegar, but I don't think it should be the main ingredient in salsa.

ANYWAY. Moving on . . .


After some experimentation, I have determined that it is useless to use anything but paste tomatoes to make salsa. That's because other varieties of tomatoes have too much juice and take too long to reduce to a pleasing salsa consistency, leading to overcooked salsa. So, my recommendation: stock up on paste tomatoes before you make salsa.

Step One: Prepping the tomatoes.

This is best done with all like tasks done together. It goes faster that way. So, for example, first you wash all the tomatoes. Then you cut off the stem end and slice them in half. Then you strip all the seeds out of the center. Then you cut them into about half-inch chunks. The size is not all that important, since they'll break down in cooking. Chuck 'em right into a pot.

I don't bother peeling. Some people do. Those people are much more patient than I. If you DO want to peel them, drop the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or so, then in cold water. The skins will come right off.

A couple of tips for faster--and therefore less rage-inducing--prepping: Make sure your knife is really sharp. There are few things more annoying (and dangerous) to cut with an even slightly dull knife than tomatoes. Also, keep a big bowl in back of the cutting board to dump all the seeds and tomato tops into. Saves you moving to the sink all the time to dump the refuse.

I fill my eight-quart pot all the way to the top with tomatoes. This uses about 40 pounds of tomatoes and makes about 12 pints of salsa. When the tomatoes cook down some, there will be room in the pot for the rest of the ingredients. So now you can put the pot on medium-high heat to start cooking the tomatoes. Stir it every once in awhile while you chop everything else. Which leads us to . . .

Step Two: Prepping everything else.

Dice a couple of big onions and throw them in. I don't like huge chunks of onion so I cut them fairly small, but do whatever works for you. Then dice a couple of green bell peppers and add them to the pot. Next up, four or five large cloves of minced garlic go in. Then a few minced jalapenos. This, of course, is totally dependent on how hot your peppers are and how hot you like your salsa. You'll have to experiment a little. Then a couple of tablespoons of cumin, quite a bit of salt that I never measure so just add a little and taste to see if it needs more, and a splash or two of plain old white vinegar. A couple of tablespoons maybe. Many people love cilantro and add it. I do not love cilantro and never add it. But you could add some chopped cilantro if you want.

Step Three: Cooking.

Cook. That's about all there is to say about that. You just let it all simmer over medium heat for a half hour or so, until it's the consistency you want. Stir it so it doesn't stick on the bottom, but really, how much instruction do you need on how to simmer something?

After it's as thick as you like, taste it again to see if it needs more salt or vinegar. Or whatever. Sometimes, if my jalapenos aren't very hot, I'll add bottled hot sauce.

And there you have it! Your very own salsa that you can make into your very own personalized recipe. I'm all about personal empowerment. That's really why I don't give exact amounts for anything.

Okay, okay--I'm really just too lazy to measure anything, but I think personal empowerment sounds better.

* Someone who insists on remaining Anonymous, despite the fact that I can tell this particular Anonymous is a fairly regular commenter. What's up with that, Anonymous? Out yourself already!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous explained:

First of all, thanks! For the salsa methodology. Now, about the anonymous part. I am old. I do not understand how computers work, or who can track what. I had a computer whiz brother who years ago was all Mr. Alarm!Warning!Be Careful! and he told me not to visit certain kinds of sites, not to. ., not to. .. And then he died. So I can no longer ask him what seems to be safe in this day & age. Would his advice & information have changed by now? Probably. But one thing they don't tell you about aging, is that there sometimes comes a sense of vulnerability that you didn't have in your youth. And an accompanying cautiousness. Also, I kinda' believe that lots of people are online with fake names. And I am puzzled as to how that is less annoying than an actual claim of anonymity. So that's my warped explanation. And yes, I understand that there are vague things in there, and many things omitted, and I will cease & desist from commenting if you prefer. But most likely I will continue to read, and enjoy, and admire you from afar.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anonymous! You could simply do what I do, as another Anonymous, sign your message with a mysterious name that only Kristin could identify. Mary in MN

Kay said...

Thanks for this... now I HAVE to get a pressure canner. I've been considering it so I could can meat (we butcher our own steers).
Salsa would be an added plus. :o)

PS Anonymous(es)(is)(??) It's ok to be cautious. I don't post photos of my grandkids anymore for this very reason.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

NOOOO!!! Don't stop commenting! I just want to know who's commenting in a general way, you know? So, for example, you can remain anonymous and just "sign" your comment, with, like, Pat or Rover or . . . um, Supreme Being? Or whatever. Then I always know it's you. Get it?

I understand about Internet fears. It is a vast and uncharted territory for us all, and we all deal with it differently.

Phoo-D said...

Thank you for sharing this! A question - what varieties of tomatoes are considered paste tomatoes? I think I need to skip the Romas and grow some of those next year. Also need to buy a pressure canner, but I'm trying to tiptoe my way in.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Romas are a paste variety. I grow them, along with San Marzanos. Paste tomatoes are any variety with a lot of flesh relative to the moisture content.

jive turkey said...

Well, this recipe is actually MUCH more detailed and helpful than my MIL's method of communicating recipes to me: "First, you get some meat. Then, you add a little tomato sauce..." WHAT KIND?! HOW MUCH?! The woman drives me batty.

Anonymous said...

Jive turkey SOME Mil are just like that....mine is. I am in awe that Kristin can live with hers. 'Cause I could never live with mine. I kinda just quit talking to her about anything of substance, because she doesn't care about anything of substance.
That's how I started out too anonymous. Just so Kristin knows who I am...but I must say, I forget sometimes to put my name on it. But, I think sometimes she would prefer I didn't comment either. ;)
Oh and as we speak I have a batch of spaghetti sauce on the stove cooking down from fresh needed to be used tomatoes.
Kristin, while I am thinking of it , do you have a farmers market close? Beth

word verification 'sulagn'

johnny cash's pasta meal

Alicia said...

My aunt has a salsa she's been giving away for Christmas presents for YEARS. Come Christmas, I don't want any other presents than a mountain of salsa.

And, no, she WON'T give me the recipe. I've already tried.

Texas people are more protective over their salsa recipe than their social security number.

Alright, since school's started, I have to go read a book now...

Anonymous said...

I believe I will try on P.Rove for my anonymous commenting. You know, when I remember - another reality of aging. And if another name becomes more likely, I'll try to remember to alert you! Thanks kiddo! P.Rove (formerly known as annoying anonymous)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

P.Rove works for me. It's always good to have a handle. You know, like truck drivers--you could be Cottonmouth. Or Cobra!

Or P.Rove. That's good too.

Beth: We have several nearby. Some tiny ones in villages, a fair-sized one in the Small City, and a HUUUUGE one in the Not-Quite-as-Small-City. I don't go to them much, for obvious reasons.

FinnyKnits said...

Ever freeze your salsa? Just curious how that thaws out.

And this is now yet another reason why I need a pressure canner...

Joan S said...

Anonymous may call herself old - but it is very evident that she is intelligent and articulate and comfortable being who she is! I am a "city girl," but absolutely love reading this "country girl" blog!