Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Do Yourself a Favor

The next time you make pot roast (which, granted, is probably not as often as I make pot roast, as not everyone is working through half a cow), skip the usual wine/water/carrot/onion thing and instead braise the meat in onion, garlic, tomato, jalapeno, and cumin. Then, when the meat is done, take it out, de-fat the liquid, and add enough water to make the correct proportions for cooking cornmeal mush (or polenta, if you're fancy). Obviously, add stone-ground cornmeal at this point and cook it right in the juices from the meat until it's thick and creamy and incredibly rich from the meat juice.

HOLY GOD IS THIS GOOD.

And if you really want to do yourself a favor, make enough of the cornmeal to have leftovers that you can fry with your eggs in the morning. It's a much better breakfast than squash.

6 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Oh gosh I'm drooling. This sounds terrific! We're only working through 1/4 of a cow and 1/2 a pig, but I still have some pot roasts left to cook. I'll have to give this a try!

Anonymous said...

Sounds REALLY good.
Try it with rice too.
I cook rice in the juices from cooking my corned beef in the crockpot....just throw the rice in after you take out the meat and cook on hi for about 1 hour.


word verification - frykc

must be chicken

Ann said...

The idea you shared sounds fabulous. I was wondering just the other day about variations on the roast theme (my in-laws are beef farmers). Now I have one to try. Thanks.

Alicia said...

So we're all coming over to YOUR house today...

FinnyKnits said...

Yup. I can do that. Because, as it turns out, we are also working through the better part of a cow (though only a quarter) and I have an unsmoked pot roast (we have a smoked one, too, that must be left alone in its smokiness)in there that needs some Specialing Up.

Thanks!

Mayberry Magpie said...

HOLY GOD is right. I loooooove polenta, and even your brief description made me salivate.

Am.Doing.It.Soon.

PS Just made a pot roast on Sunday. Curses to you for not telling me a few days earlier.