Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fill Me with Bread and Leave Me Happy

Know what's the best thing about a tea? I mean a tea as in a meal with a bunch of women sitting around drinking tea out of bone china cups* and eating finger foods? All of this finger food is bread-based. Sandwiches and cookies and cakes and . . . well, it's a damn good thing tea isn't a regular institution in the U.S. or I would weigh 300 pounds.

That's all. Carry on.

* Incidentally, I learned yesterday that bone china is called that because there is actually bone ground up in the porcelain to make the china. Somewhat gruesome, but a fascinating tidbit nonetheless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can tell that winter is coming and it is getting cold. We all want our filling comfort foods.
And how was the tea itself? Do you buy bread at the store or make your own? When you buy bread at the store, what is your favorite?
Beth

Kristin @ Going Country said...

The tea itself was lovely--it's a kind of Irish tea the MiL buys. I buy my bread. The MiL used to make bread, but since I'm the only one in the house who eats it now, it seems like kind of a waste of time. I just buy whatever whole wheat bread is on sale at the time--Pepperidge Farm, Arnold, Orrowheat, whatever. As long as it's real whole wheat, it's fine.

Though nothing really compares to the MiL's bread. Sigh.

Daisy said...

Comfort foods with bread - I made bread pudding for the first time yesterday. The family is resisting trying it, so I might eat it all myself. Oh, such a sacrifice. It has bananas and applesauce and cinnamon in it, too - yum. Heated, with a little whipped cream.... this might almost work for tea.