Friday, October 8, 2010

The Inevitable

So you knew Cubby had to catch my cold, right? I mean, how could he not, what with his determination to stick his fingers in my mouth at every opportunity or get my fingers in his mouth. An exchange of germs was just unavoidable. And so now, as I move into the hacking-like-a-chain-smoker phase, Cubby is in the spraying-slime-from-his-nose-when-he-sneezes phase.

We're a way fun duo at the moment, let me tell you.

Last night was a study in Unfun, as Cubby woke up every couple of hours to let me know that he was drowning in mucous and could I please remedy that situation now? Except the remedy for this problem is the euphemistically named nasal aspirator, which is nothing more than a small turkey baster used to suction snot out of a baby's nose. Which is why I call it the snot baster. Cubby hates the snot baster, and said baster is pretty much impossible to use when the snot-producer is squirming and screaming. Not that I blame him--I wouldn't want a rubber pipe jammed up my nose, either.

So, you know, not so much with the sleep last night.

However! Cubby is surprisingly chipper this morning. Much more than I have been, that's for sure. And if my experience with this cold is any indication, everything should be much improved in a couple of days. At which point A. will probably come down with it, just so we're three for three. But at least I won't have to use the snot baster on him.

7 comments:

jive turkey said...

Baby colds are the SADDEST. SAD! My pediatrician told me that babies have a hard time adjusting to breathing through their mouths when their noses are stuffed b/c they are so used to nose-breathing when feeding, etc. See? SAD!!!

I cannot resist the urge to thrust my unsolicited advice on you, because this small plastic device has changed MY LIFE, and works so much better than those stupid aspirators (and doesn't have to go all up in the kid's nose):

http://www.nosefrida.com/

Sadie now actually ASKS me to use it on her when she has a cold, because it's awesome.

Anonymous said...

"we are a way fun duo" had to laugh out loud at that statement.
You would think if we put a man on the moon we could cure the common cold. Beth

word verification - couscer

the pan you cook cous cous in

Alicia said...

Poor Cubby...colds are only funny when dogs get them...

Phoo-D said...

Nothing like shared misery...=( I have to say the thought of a 'snot baster' made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Oh the adventures that are ahead of me! Hope you all feel better soon.

Unknown said...

We recently dealt with Avi having a cold (apparently croup said the pediatrician but from stories I have heard about croup I am not sure it was that!) anyway we found that saline solution worked wonders (the snot and mucous just poured out when we would put him upright) and wasn't as upsetting as the snot baster...I know you didn't ask for advice but well...there it is...it is what all parents do I suppose..
hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Daisy said...

When I worked in an infant room in day care, we called it a snot sucker. We got better at recognizing baby sinus infections than the parents - merely by the color and consistency of the snot.
Anyway. The memories! My teen has a cold now, but he can blow his own nose. :)

Anonymous said...

I used to call it the "Brain Sucker" when I used it on my daughter!!!