Monday, November 22, 2010

Woolies

It's really ridiculous that I don't knit. I mean, if anyone should knit, it should be me. Here I am with eight wool-bearing animals that have to be sheared every year anyway and a dire need for wool clothing to survive in our ridiculously cold house. ANDAND, a baby. For whom wool clothing is almost a necessity, and yet unobtainable through normal baby clothing manufacturers.

But I don't knit. And don't try telling me how easy it is, because I have tried and I just do not have the temperament for it so GO AWAY TWISTY KNOTTY YARN I HATE YOU.

So when I need wool socks for Cubby (which I do) or wool slippers for me (which I did), to Etsy I go. Where there are many, many people who knit, because they apparently don't have anger management issues when it comes to yarn. And they can whip out things like felted wool slippers in a cheery green color with black accents in about a week, thereby filling the gaping hole in our lives left by my inability to knit.

We can't all do everything. I have accepted my limitations and embraced Etsy, and my life is calmer for it.

8 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Isn't Etsy the best? I love finding things on Etsy and can spend hours looking through the awesome handmade items. And I'm with you- knitting is a major pain.

jive turkey said...

I tried to knit once. I made my sister a scarf that unraveled in two weeks. Stopped knitting. Now, I know from boring, repetitive hobbies (I like to cross-stitch), but knitting is not my bag. That is why we have Etsy.

paparatti said...

I hate knitting at the moment. Just can't crack it. But crocheting? SO EASY. Considering how your house gets, I'd recommend it, just for the blanket making ability. One hook is the gateway to such good things.

sheila said...

good luck keeping them on

duck tape?

Haley said...

I really really love to knit, but I would never say it is easy for everyone. I once thought that, until I tried to teach my sister to knit. I had to cut her knotted mess off of my needles. Natalie is right that crocheting is easier, but still I know that people like my sister wouldn't do that either. It just depends on a person's patience and particular skill set.

FinnyKnits said...

So, if you're not knitting the wool off those sheep, who is?

Because, if you got some of that made into yarn, you know I'd knit you some baby stuff.

Not that you'd want to ship it across the country just so that it could be shipped back six months later as a too small baby sweater for Cubby, but I imagine you could get *someone* to do it...

Anonymous said...

Love Etsy...lots of really good ideas out there.
Just took up crocheting , I am just learning the basics...don't know if I 'll stick with it.
I made my niece a belt and it looks pretty good....just made it up as I went along.
I went into the 'dollar tree' store here the other day and they had knitted crocheted...whatever neck scarves for just a buck.....I can't and won't do it for that . They also had sock caps and gloves ..everything is only a dollar. That is nuts. The yarn would cost 6 times that much at least. And they don't look bad at all. Of course they aren't wool from my own sheep. :)
Those slippers are really cute, hope the artist has a way to attach them to little people's feet. Beth

Alicia said...

I'll knit Cubby some warms. That is, once all these papers are finished...

:) I knit, but I can't for the life of me crochet. Natural abilities?