Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Keeping Up with the Random Parents in the Waiting Room

I took Cubby to the pediatrician again yesterday for his one-year vaccinations, since he was finally ABSOLUTELY AND WITHOUT A DOUBT one year old. We waited for about fifteen minutes in the waiting room, playing with the grimy toys and staring at the other people who came in.

Okay, only Cubby stared. I have better manners than that.

One of the other children who came in while we were there was a little girl who, I learned from her parents, was named Amber and also turned one last week. I was talking with the parents, as parents of children do when thrown together, mostly providing one-word responses as mom talked away a mile a minute with occasional contributions from dad across the room.

I said something to Amber about her pretty shirt, her mother said it was a gift at her birthday party last week . . . You know, the sort of idle, meaningless conversation complete strangers engage in. And then dad yells out from across the room, "We just spent four thousand dollars on her for Christmas, and then another thousand for her birthday."

Uh.

I mean, how does one respond to that? I think I said, "Wow." That seemed safe. It was not a "Wow, that's great," sort of wow. More of a "Wow. That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," kind of wow. Because frankly, I think spending four thousand dollars on anything other than, say, life-saving surgery or a car is pretty stupid.

ANYWAY.

After some more explanations from dad about the multitudes of toys and clothes Amber got for her birthday, the conversation turned, at some point, to dogs. Amber, apparently, loves dogs. She particularly likes their big dog. I asked what kind of dog it is, mom replied it's a golden retriever . . . and then here comes dad again from across the room, "How much did your dad spend on that dog, honey? A thousand dollars?"

Is there some kind of social disorder that causes people to compulsively blurt out the price of everything? Because that guy had it.

The oddest thing was that this couple was maybe twenty years old, and as misleading as appearances may be, I would have bet money that neither of them had what you might call high-powered jobs. But even if they DID, four thousand dollars? For Christmas for a one-year-old child who has no idea what's going on and won't even remember?

Well. It takes all kinds, I guess. I'm sure Amber will appreciate her parents' generosity after the fact. And even if she doesn't remember, it doesn't matter--her dad will tell her all about it.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Wow is right. That's absolutely ridiculous, both spending that much AND talking about it like that. People are weird.

jive turkey said...

Frankly, her Dad sounds like a douche. The kid isn't ASKING you to spend $5k on her in the span of two months, so stop acting like a jackass and resenting a ONE YEAR OLD CHILD THAT YOU BROUGHT INTO THIS WORLD. Also, perhaps look into money management. Good lord.

I'm guessing he's also the kind of guy who thinks taking you out to dinner means you have to...you know.

Phoo-D said...

Lol, I think that there is some disorder that causes people to have to share the cost of everything. I know a few people like that and it is a twisted mix of trying to seem superior and important while begging for attention. That poor kid.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That's it, Phoo-D--you nailed it. He was bragging about it. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Well, did you tell them that you gave Cubby water for his birthday. That would have shut them up!

Anonymous said...

I think I must have the opposite disorder of that guy. If someone admires, say, a top I'm wearing, I can't seem to just say thank you and shut up. I feel compelled to tell them how LITTLE I paid for it at a thrift store or an amazing sale or whatever. I agree with the comment about the water. I would have loved to see the look on that guy's face if you had told him about the generous birthday water delivery! :)

sheila said...

Speechless, I'm actually speechless. Mouth hanging open speechless......

Daisy said...

How sad. This little Amber could grow up thinking that the prices of gifts matter more than the people who care enough to give them. She will also grow to expect large amounts of money spent on her all the time, no matter what the occasion. Sounds like the potential making of a new Veruca Salt - can you hear it? "Daddy, I want it NOW."
Cubby is going to be much healthier - physically and emotionally.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Wow! Amber is a princess. Actually, Amber's mom is princess and Amber's dad clearly resents it.

Chiot's Run said...

Ugh, that kind of makes me nauseous for poor little Amber who's parents will no doubtedly be drowning in debt and never teach her proper money management skills.

Mr Chiots and I are always in awe of the fact that parents forget that they're raising future adults, they're not raising their best friends, they're raising children - trying to teach them to become contributing members to society - sadly - I think many parents are failing at this.

So glad I live in a rural area and hardly have to come into contact with other people. I love that I can chat with people like the wonderful folks at Blackrock through the magic of the interweb.

Jessika Poodle said...

ran across your blog by accident but this posting totally made me laugh and made my night!