Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Almost There . . .

We're almost at that most exciting day of the year, duckies: Jar Tally Day. Better than Christmas, that.

Yes, soon I will be adding up my hastily scribbled and much-amended list to see just how many glass jars of food have made their way from my kitchen into the Pit of Despair. I know already that there are more than two gallons of pickled jalapenos down there. Now that, I think we can all agree, is a SHITLOAD of jalapenos.

I guess my dad knows what he's getting for Christmas this year.

I have not yet contacted my friend Alyssa* to see if there are apples again hanging around somewhere, but I suspect there might be just a few extra. A few meaning a thousand pounds or so.

So! After some apples have been sauced and stored, THEN I can do the final tally.

Brace yourselves. The fruit is going to rule the world this year, I can tell. And the jalapenos, of course.

* Alyssa, you there? There are just a few left in those pallets I saw Saturday, right? And I can have some, right? Like, fifty pounds or so?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We grew jalapenos this year and they are a DARK green then they turn red. The ones you get with your pizza are a lighter green. Do they turn lighter when you can/pickle them? Do you use just a standard pickled pepper recipe? Beth Thanks in advance.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Beth: I think the peppers you're thinking of in regards to pizza are pepperoncini. They're not jalapenos--it's some kind of sweeter, less hot pepper.

I used to use a recipe I found online for canning the jalapenos. This year I just used the Ball recipe from the Blue Book. I slice them, because we don't go through a whole one when we use them for quesadillas or whatever, but I did can some whole for my dad, since I got sick of slicing and still had a shitload left. Either way is fine.

Daisy said...

Homemade applesauce is the best. Mmmmm. Every time my daughter visits she goes downstairs to grab a few jars for her apartment. I feel a bit of pride in that!