Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Idiosyncrasies

A few days ago when I asked Cubby if he wanted a cracker, he asked for peanut butter. So I put some peanut butter on a cracker. He then proceeded to lick the peanut butter off the cracker and hold out the now-sodden and pretty nasty cracker for more peanut butter. So I figured, if the kid wants peanut butter, I'll just give him peanut butter.

He ate about four spoonfuls of straight peanut butter. It was kind of gross.

A couple of days ago we had some cranberry chutney with dinner. He ate a small bowl of that, straight. Also kind of gross.

Then this morning, we had fried eggs for breakfast. He wasn't really into the eggs, so I asked him if he wanted salsa on his eggs. He replied in the affirmative, so I put some salsa on his egg. Which he then licked off, leaving the egg behind. So, just as an experiment to see just how far this weird love of condiments goes, I gave him a spoonful of plain salsa. He ate it. And then several more.

Weird kid. Seriously. Just weird.

9 comments:

Sister’s Sailor said...

Oh do I have one for him in a couple weeks, I like to call it "chocolate crack!" It is Nutella and yes I eat it by the spoonful, NN also like to have a some if she remembers it is in the house.

Word Verification: THORREG-The regulations the Thor uses to maintain good order and discipline.

Anonymous said...

So he's a fan of the condiments.

Anonymous said...

We've experienced the same thing over here in the past week. Saturday, we gave him some crackers and hummus, and he sucked the hummus off before eating the cracker. Yesterday we had some chips and salsa, and he just kept dipping and licking the salsa off - never even ate the chips.

tu mere said...

Actually, it shows that he knows exactly what he wants, is quite explicit in how to asks for it, and won't change based on someone else's idea of what he needs. Hmmm, the good news and the bad news?

sheila said...

He likes food with flavor, forget the bland old cracker.

Phoo-D said...

A kid after my own heart. Salsa with a side of chips please! You should have seen Anna pack away sardines and avocado the other day. I figured I'd just give her a taste and the kid devoured an entire bowl.

Joellen said...

My son ate so much cranberry sauce one Christmas that my mother bought it especially for him. She would buy the small cans of it and put it in a bowl and mash it up. He ate it like it was applesauce. At least maybe he got some anti-oxidents from the cranberries.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My tot eats green tabasco sauce out of the bottle. She upends it and shakes it to get it all out. I ate A LOT of green tabasco sauce when I was pregnant, so....

Sara said...

What's weird about eating peanut butter by the spoonful? No, really, what?