Friday, December 16, 2011

Birthday Food

Beth asked yesterday if A. got his favorite meal and cake on his birthday. Of course. I mean, doesn't everybody? Isn't that an inalienable right, akin to the pursuit of happiness?

In A.'s case, that meant he got a roasted leg of lamb, of which he probably ate about two and half pounds of the meat because that man is ALL ABOUT THE MEAT, plus roasted potatoes and a yogurt sauce made of yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic.

That yogurt sauce, by the way, though it is ostensibly for the lamb and is of course delicious with that, is one of my favorite things in the world when drizzled over roasted potatoes. I may have eaten an unholy amount of potatoes with yogurt sauce last night. To each his or her own.

We also had chard, but that wasn't so much because A. loves it as because it's his least-detested of vegetables. That's really all I can ask for when it comes to forcing a vegetable at a meal.

The MiL made his cake. It was a chocolate roulade. That's a flourless cake batter baked thin and flat, then rolled around a whipped cream filling. It is awesome.

We're going to be driving home from Washington, D.C. on my birthday this year (December 27--you still have time to get my present!), so I probably won't be having a birthday meal on the actual day. And anyway, my preferred birthday food is always pasta, which doesn't sit well with most of my gluten-sensitive household (do not even speak to me of gluten-free pasta on my birthday). Which is why A. and I always go out for my birthday to a restaurant. The MiL does always make my cake, though. Any kind I want. Even this (DELICIOUS) pain in the ass.

I haven't decided on my cake for this year yet. It will be a chocolate cake, because it's always a chocolate cake of some kind, but I'm waffling between peanut butter or coconut frosting. Oh, the agony of indecision.

So what about you, duckies? Do you have a meal and a cake that must be served on your birthday or heads will roll?

8 comments:

Phoo-D said...

I don't have a specific meal, but now that I am older something eaten out of the house is preferred! A glass of wine or a good martini to boot and I'm a happy camper.

Anonymous said...

Eating out is my preferred meal...anything...as long as I don't cook it and clean up after it.

mil said...

I'm wondering if coc0nut and peanut butter would complement each other in some sort of combination--you know, I think not. But one could do a half and half thing --

sheila said...

it's a celebration if someone else does the dishes

Anonymous said...

Reuben sandwiches with real corned beef...oh my goodness.
I am not a big cake fan..but what your Mil made for A. sounds like my kind of cake.
Maybe coconut cream pie, might be my favorite dessert.
It changes from year to year.
Beth
What would be your birthday wish for this year? The perfect gift?
A nap fairy?
And what will you be doing in D.C.? Visiting the sis?

Daisy said...

My birthday sometimes lands on Thanksgiving. When that happens, I'm not opposed to putting a candle in the pumpkin pie.

Susan said...

I went through a german chocolate cake phase I may need to revisit.

Anonymous said...

I love, more than any other dessert, which is my favorite food group, a Waldorf Red Velvet cake. This is not just any old red velvet cake, it must be made from the original recipe used at the Waldorf Astoria hotel many years ago. And no cream cheese icing either. It must be the cooked bakers cream frosting used by the hotel.

It is a large, pain in the butt, sublime and glorious cake that I totally deserve but have not had in years. It just is not the same when you make it yourself.
Kate