Thursday, March 29, 2012

It May Not Be Interesting, But It's All I Got

Yesterday started at 3 a.m. with a screaming child and ended with me breaking out my chocolate Easter bunny two weeks early because GODDAMN, if ever a day called for a drink, yesterday did. And yet, thanks to that other child still dependent on me for normal development or whatever, I couldn't deplete a bottle of gin. Hence, the premature bunny.

Anyway. Want to know how our two toddler challenges are shaping up? Of course you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

As I mentioned, Cubby woke up at 3 a.m. and refused to be ordered back to sleep through the door, as has been my practice as of late. Instead he got out of bed, searching for the door to come into our room. I got up, put him back into his bed, and then spent the next hour and a half trying to get him to go back to sleep. It was cold, and I was exhausted from standing by his bed or by his door, singing lullabies, stroking his hair, whispering soothingly, answering every time he called for me, trying to get that child to sleep. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I try really hard not to bring him into our bed, because that's a slippery slope ending in a manipulative toddler demanding "daddy's bed" whenever he's not sleeping well. But around 4:30 a.m., after some tears on both our sides, I gave in and he crashed out between A. and me. It's lucky for him he went back to sleep and slept until 8 a.m., because if he had refused even then to go to sleep, I might have really followed through on my plan to run away. Or at least give up on the potty training. Which I did not do, because dammit, I WILL NOT GIVE IN ON EVERYTHING.

And that brings us to the second Cubby-in-Training challenge. Due to the late wake-up, there was no nap yesterday. Which meant one unhappy Toilet-User-in-Training yesterday afternoon. Dealing with an overtired toddler is not easy at the best of times, and potty training is not the best of times.

The soiled laundry count for yesterday stands at five pairs of pants and seven pairs of underwear, plus two pairs of socks. About even with the first day of fun, although I see some light at the end of this urine-soaked tunnel, since by the end of the day he was at least talking about going potty on his own without prompting. Right before he actually did it. Before we got to the bathroom. But still, he said it. I just wasn't quick enough.

Thanks to the lack of nap, bedtime at least was no struggle at all. I only had to sit on the wretched stool outside his door for about ten minutes before I was sure he was out. So I guess that's the silver lining. Well, that and the chocolate bunny.

I still really wanted a drink, though.

9 comments:

Tami said...

You are SUCH a great writer...You had me laughing out loud during your first paragraph. I suppose laughing is better than crying...Poor YOU! Hang in there.

jive turkey said...

Oh, lady...what a day. I hope you have some more bunnies on hand.

Anonymous said...

Just a thought. Maybe an extra blanket on his bed, he may be cold...you said you were cold.

About the potty training....he is so smart. I bet he is done in a week or two....I am off to buy stock in chocolate bunnies, just in case. :) Beth

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

We went through a terrible time with Parker getting out of bed. I can't remember his age, but he was still in a crib. He learned to crawl out and then would create all kinds of havoc while we slept. We bought this netted tent thing that turned his crib into a cage. And we locked him in, and we let him scream. Yes, it was miserable, but he was safe. When he moved to a real bed, we couldn't keep him it to save his life. He would come to our room and I would order him away. And many times I would wake up in the morning to find him sleeping at the foot of our bed. (Yes, I felt horrible.) The problem was finally solved when we bought bunk beds for Kate and allowed Parker to sleep in her room. He didn't move back to his own room until age 5. I redecorated his room with a big-boy theme for his birthday and I guess he was so stoked, he finally claimed his own sleeping space.

mil said...

I wonder if it would help if Mia slept in his room.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I still have my two year old in a crib, for the simple fact that I am not woman enough to handle bed training at this time.

You are stronger than me, lady.

Might I suggest those little cadbury chocolate eggs with the candy coating? The absolute BEST part of the this easter season.

Anonymous said...

And I continue to say--people who are parents should receive trophies.

Plus lots of chocolate, of course...

Phoo-D said...

Chocolate is a necessity! What a rough day. My close friend is trying to get her 2 1/2 year old boy potty trained and it is tough all around too. She told him today that when he poops he is "feeding the fishes". Apparently he was pretty excited about that prospect and couldn't wait to do it again. Just a suggestion...!

FinnyKnits said...

After that tale, I'll happily drink my gin in your honor. Until you're able to do so yourself.

It's only fair.

And maybe stock up on chocolate bunnies for now...