Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Winter that Wasn't and the Summer Without

I am hardly original in mentioning this, but . . . what the hell happened to winter this year? It snowed, like, twice. The rest of the time was non-stop mud and excitement. And now? Well, now the magnolias and forsythia are blooming, every spring flower--early and late--is currently in a blaze of short-lived glory, and it's supposed to be 80 degrees tomorrow.

What the hell? I don't know either.

It was really warm today too. And you know what I realized? Man, it's going to be a long, sad summer with my beloved gin and tonics. Today was just the day for them, you know? Warm and sunny while we were outside grilling the lake trout Jason caught today and dropped off for us*, watching Cubby "pinch" things with the tongs while wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt, with the dogs sniffing around the grill and panting in the sun. A. had a gin and tonic. I had a sip of his, just to torture myself, and sighed a regretful sigh in anticipation of the coming summer that will be sadly deficient in G&Ts.

Oh well. There will be other summers, with many G&Ts. And doubtless many winters with feet of snow and frozen ground. Life goes on. Just with some aberrant seasons here and there.

* I know, you wish you had a friend like Jason. We find him quite wonderful ourselves. Especially Cubby, who, while he was eating the fish, kept up a running monologue about his buddy Mister Jason and the trout he caught with the bobber and the hook. It was really adorable.

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Hmm. Tonic with lime doesn't quite cut it. There must be a way around this until ManCub 2 arrives.

tu mere said...

Sure do wish we had a Jason as well. Actually, we would appreciate him more than y'all since 'A' is such a proficient fisher person, and we get zero good fresh fish. I'm totally jealous.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I don't drink, but I feel your pain. I remember giving up caffeine for the duration and that was monstrous. The first two weeks I felt like someone took my head off, scooped it out, replaced it with kitty litter and put it back on.

The shit we do for our offspring.

Anonymous said...

Precisely the reason I chose not to procreate!

-Sandy Shoes

Sherry said...

I forgot. When is the baby due?

FinnyKnits said...

Oh man. That IS sad. I'll have extras for you. To keep the gin balance in the universe and all. And fresh grilled trout? Yes, please.