Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day Off? What?

Those mythical days don't exist here at Blackrock.  On this particular "holiday," A. got up at 5 a.m.  I got up at 5:30 a.m.  Cubby got up at 6 a.m.

It is currently 6:30 a.m. and A. is balanced precariously on a ladder, beginning phase 2 of the roofing.  Cubby, shockingly, did not demand to go out and throw a fit at the base of the ladder when I refused to allow him to climb it.  Instead, while I was finding the small portable radio to motivate A. with patriotic country music (currently: "Riding with Private Malone"--a gem of a song about buying a car haunted by the ghost of a young, dead soldier), Cubby decided it would be an excellent time to view some quality television.  Apparently, at 6:30 in the morning PBS shows the new version of "The Electric Company."  The theme song is a rap song.  Not much as I remember it from my own childhood, but whatever.  Could be worse.

A. considered taking the whole family fishing this morning instead of roofing, but he has this fear that the motor will quit in the middle of the lake and I'll go into labor.  Since I never really want to go fishing, I did nothing to try to assuage his (admittedly far-fetched) fears on this subject.

So here we are.  Child care, hard labor . . . just another day at Blackrock.

Happy Fourth, duckies.  I hope you're celebrating appropriately, preferably with incendiary objects and alcohol.

Edited to add:  Did I say there might be something worse than the new "The Electric Company"?  I think that was mistaken.  About two minutes after I published this, Cubby came in to request that I sit and watch with him.  So I did.  For about thirty seconds, at which point I said, "Wow, this is really bad.  You think we should turn this off?"  And he did, while repeating, "This is really bad."  Maybe it was that bad when I was young too and I just don't remember, but it certainly is terrible now.  It was so bad that I preferred standing around outside supervising Cubby "sweeping" the steps and pushing the lawn mower to sitting in a chair and watching that dreck.  If it's so bad I don't want to sit in a chair, you know it's really bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well , you get a half day off having the new child.
Maybe you should stretch out the labor so you get more time off? :)
Nah, I didn't think you'd go for that one. Beth
Happy Fourth of July to all !

Daisy said...

Your lake story, with A's fear of labor in mid-fishing trip, reminds me of my second pregnancy. I refused to drive my husband's car, then about 15 years old and rusty as all get out, because I was afraid I'd end up giving birth in a broken down Chevy on the side of a road. Not a fun thought!
Good luck to you and Cubby and A and the newcomer!