Friday, February 1, 2013

Leftovers

If you were concerned about Cubby's health after yesterday's episode, fear not.  When I tentatively opened his door to check on him at 6:30 this morning, fearing I would find him feverish and tossing about in his own vomit, I instead heard, "I'm ready to get up!"  He then requested "nice cold milk--not Ovaltine," cinnamon toast, orange juice, and an egg.

Obviously a full and speedy recovery for the little dictator.

What he did NOT request, and in fact outright refused, were the ginger ale and saltine crackers I bought for him specially yesterday.  As far as I'm aware, he's never had ginger ale, so I have no idea why he has such an aversion to it.  No matter.  I put the small bottle of it to good use this evening as a mixer with gin and lemon juice.

The saltines he refused because he persisted in believing they were rice crackers, which he does not like.  And the reason he thought they were rice crackers?  Because they're round.

I KNOW.

Round saltines?  What the hell, Kraft?  Saltines, as everyone knows, are square.  But this tomfoolery not only included round crackers, but round crackers with sea salt.

What's wrong with regular salt anymore?  Why does all salt need to be sea salt?  Annoying.  And pretentious.

ANYWAY.

Although I will certainly eat the crackers because I'm a sucker for anything made with white flour, they are not what they used to be.  Not only are they round, but the fancy-pants sea salt is smaller than the salt granules that used to be on saltines, resulting in a less salty taste.  Also, they're not quite as airy and crisp as the square ones*.  They remind me more of salted water crackers.

These crackers these days.  Nothing at all like they were in MY day.

* In case you're wondering how I came to be such an authority on the old-school saltines, let me share my credentials: When I was in college, I would eat an entire sleeve of saltines for lunch in my car on my way from work to class.  So I know a real saltine when I see one.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have neighbors that are always looking for the saltines that come in the four square (size of the box) saltines. Beth
Glad Cubby is fine.

Rose said...

I hear you on the sea salt thing. It's getting kind of ridiculous! I think "sea salt" is the new "all natural" for food products that are borderline good for you.

jive turkey said...

ROUND SALTINES?! That shit ain't right.

But allow me to tell you that the little miniature saltines they make nowadays (Premium brand, I think), are THE BEE'S KNEES. They taste so much better than their larger counterparts, and I have no idea why.