Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Truth About Parenting

Thanks to that over-achieving butternut squash plant, I decided to make butternut squash soup for dinner tonight. I made this recipe. It was a masterpiece of local sourcing: Butternut squash, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and sage from the garden. Chicken broth from our chickens. Cream from the local dairy. Nothing but the best for this soup. It was good, if a little thinner than I prefer my soup to be.

It was not, however, particularly kid-friendly.

Charlie took about three swallows from his mug before deciding a better use for the soup would be to form a lake on his tray. Cubby was persuaded to drink about half of his mug, mostly because I kept up a running commentary about how fun it was to drink our dinner instead of eat it. Ha ha! Isn't that funny!

I anticipated this reaction, though, which is why I also made an apple and pear crisp for dessert, to fill things out a little.

So in the end, my kids essentially ate apple/pear crisp and vanilla ice cream for dinner. Which reminded me of the time when Cubby had peach pie and ice cream for dinner.

And that, my lovelies, is the reality of parenting: Sometimes kids eat dessert for dinner. And any parent who claims otherwise is probably lying. Truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I eat dessert as dinner. And I'm ok with that.

Rose said...

I used to laugh scornfully at "those" parents who made two dinners - one for them and one for the kids. Now I AM that parent! My daughter can withstand a lot of funky food but she does draw the line at steamed cabbage and anything with visible green peppers in it. Argh!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Man, alive. Ain't that the truth.

Mostly I just tend to cook things I know the tot will eat (which limits my culinary adventures) but sometimes I push the envelope and what occurs is a hands-on-hips demonstration of toddler defiance that is truly awe-inspiring.

Remember the days when we were single? And could eat popcorn and green olives and a leftover subway sandwich for dinner (or breakfast) and no one cared b/c no one saw it?

I remember those days....