Sunday, December 1, 2013

Baking in Bed

It was 12 degrees the other night, a temperature sure to strike fear into the hearts of those of us with unheated bedrooms. Despite the insulation A. has put in the attic above our room and over the stone walls behind our bed, our room is still without heat.

But now our bed isn't.

After talking about it for many months, A. bought an electric mattress pad. I wasn't aware such a thing existed, and I was skeptical of having heated wires under me. But A. bought one anyway, just to try.

I stand corrected.

After shivering through teeth flossing and brushing in the unheated upstairs, then taking off nice warm clothes and putting on cold pajamas, being able to slide into a heated bed is about the best thing ever. I hear angels singing every time I get in bed and instead of icy cold sheets that take an hour to warm up there are toasty heated sheets. It is bliss. And we fall asleep faster because we aren't lying there clutching each other for 45 minutes, waiting for the bed (and us) to warm up.

I turn the pad on when I put Cubby to bed so it has an hour or so to heat up before we go to bed, and we turn it off when we get into bed. It's perfect because we don't want to sleep in a heated room, we just don't want to get into a freezing bed.

So props to A. for forging ahead despite my reservations and solving our problem. He's a smart one, that guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great solution! Mary in MN

mil said...

Put your pajamas to bed when you put Cubby to bed. They will be warm, too.

gabe said...

We got one of these a couple years ago, and it's a life-changer :) I turn it on while I'm getting ready for bed - it's sooo nice to climb in and not have to wait for my feet to warm up!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

This seems like the best thing in the world!
Recently my one set of flannel sheets got ripped and so we have been shivering our way to sleep in cotton sheets.
No.Good.At all.
Also, I like the MIL's idea about putting your pjs in there, as well.
Mighty smart!!

Karen B. @ Making Shift said...

Genius! I didn't even know those existed.

FinnyKnits said...

Yeah. We've been debating it. I refuse flannel sheets because they gross me out (don't start) and I like the fact that when I'm brushing and flossing and face washing, Bubba yells from the bedroom "BABY! COME TO BED!" because he needs my body to warm the friggen bed.

So, what I'm saying is that I don't want to be replaced by a heated mattress pad and I'm willing to sacrifice my digits for it.

Also, your MiL is a genius.