Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Other Side of Snow Days

Cubby was very excited to go back to preschool yesterday after his weeklong sick break. I was very excited too; I managed to get all the vacuuming done with only Charlie to keep track of*.

It was a brief reprieve, however, thanks to that little storm that made its way to us last night. Due to the forecasted 6-10 inches of snow, all the schools in the area are closed.

Dammit.

Snow days are not a thing I'm too familiar with from my own childhood, since most of my school days were spent in places where they weren't an issue.

First I went to school in Hawaii; obviously no weather-related school closings in paradise. Next to Alaska; the only time they closed school in the three years I lived there was when it was 68 degrees below zero and there was so much ice fog the bus drivers couldn't see. And then I was in Tucson, Arizona. Snow and cold is not a concern there, obviously.

So the only place I remember the thrill of school being closed unexpectedly was in college in Northern Arizona, where the classes would occasionally be canceled. And what a joy it was.

But now I'm a parent. Parents do not get joy out of school closings. Parents get dread, for obvious reasons of hyperactive children and no opportunity to vacuum.

Cubby won't be very pleased either. He's still young enough that going to school is like playing, and he wasn't too enthused about going home when I picked him up yesterday.

Oh well. Snowpants and boots for all because I can see this is going to be a day of forced outside family fun. And hot chocolate. That might be the only saving grace.

* Large two-story houses are a serious problem to vacuum with untrustworthy children about. They could be --and probably are--doing anything while you're deafened by the roar of the machine.

3 comments:

rls said...

You moved from Hawaii to Alaska? Wow. What did young Kristin think of that?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

RLS: I think I was so young that I didn't care too much. I actually really liked Alaska; it was a really great place for a kid. The move from Alaska to Arizona was a lot harder, probably because I was older and friends were more important at that stage.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Dude.
You guys are getting screwed on the whole winter weather thing. I am so sorry.
I spent a year in Anchorage and remember driving through the Wendy's drive through with snow piled so high from plowing that it was like going through a tunnel.
I loved Alaska. Only place I had my still shower damp hair freeze and break off in a little hunk. :0)