Sunday, April 27, 2014

Livin' Large

On Sunday mornings, A. gets up with the children so I can, uh, not. I rarely actually sleep any later than they do, but the important thing is that I am not downstairs at 5:45 a.m. answering questions and pouring milk.

This particular Sunday morning Charlie very unfortunately woke up at 5:30. Nothing good happens at 5:30 in the morning. The early-rising child is grumpy, the early-rising adult is grumpy, it's still dark outside . . . no fun at all. But A. dutifully got up and got dressed, then pried an unhappy Charlie away from me and took him downstairs, screaming the whole way.

Charlie was screaming, I mean, not A. Though I'm sure A. felt like screaming too.

Although I was awake for the day at that point (Charlie's method of cuddling involves climbing on my head and pinching my cheeks), I was not keen to go downstairs and be desperately clutched at like a mother chimpanzee by my Charlie chimp.

I stayed in bed and read my book. It's warm enough now that I can do that without freezing my exposed hands, so I read for more than an hour. Since I didn't hear any sounds of distress from downstairs, I figured A. had matters well in hand.

When I got downstairs around 7 a.m., I discovered just how A. kept matters in hand.

First, he gave Charlie an enormous spoonful of peanut butter and let him eat it standing on a chair at the counter. There was peanut butter on the coffee maker, peanut butter on the sugar bowl, peanut butter on the chair.

Second, he found an hour-long YouTube video about sheep and cattle ranching in Nevada. Charlie sat in A.'s chair by the woodstove (by himself, thankyouverymuch--he kicked A. out) and watched the whole. damn. thing.  I saw the last two minutes when I came down. That was about a minute and 45 seconds too much for me. But Charlie does love his cows and sheep. A lot, apparently.

And last, A. wasn't foolish enough to try to dress Charlie. This always results in screaming and tears, so to keep a happy Charlie, one must let the pajamas ride.

When I finally got up, Charlie was happy, A. was happy (if extremely sleepy), and I was happy that I hadn't been downstairs for the past hour and a half.

So apparently if I would just let a perpetually pajama-clad Charlie eat peanut butter from a spoon and watch YouTube videos about cows all morning, peace would reign.

Sorry, Charlie. You'll just have to wait until next Sunday for that.

2 comments:

tu mere said...

I totally relate with Adam doing whatever it takes at that time of the AM to make child happy so that everyone in the house can be happy. YouTube rocks, and what can you say that's negative about peanut butter. A bit greasy, but wipes off easy. Life's good.

Daisy said...

Creative parenting! The YouTube video sounds great. Bookmark it for future use.