Friday, May 23, 2014

I Hate It When They Do This

I was sitting in a chair on the lawn this morning watching Cubby and Charlie complete the ruination of their first set of clothing in the muddy garden when Otty came trotting up to me. She had the top quarter of a woodchuck in her mouth.

It was dead, obviously, and had been quite well-chewed. Pretty much all that was still intact was the head and a little of the pelt. It was, needless to say, incredibly disgusting.

So of course she dropped it right at my feet and then lay down next to it for a well-deserved rest. And so, also of course, I got up, put on one of A.'s work gloves, and carried the grisly remains of the woodchuck over to the fence, where I threw it into the gully.

Because the only thing worse than a dog carrying around a chewed-up woodchuck head is a child carrying around a chewed-up woodchuck head. And you just know that would have been the next scene in this little comedy.

Ah, the romance of country life.


2 comments:

tu mere said...

Mother Nature can seem so cruel. Guess that would be how Cubby would view you if he knew he'd missed out on such a generous gift from Otty.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Cubby with woodchuck head...
mom look it's eyes go back when you push them...see see....look in the bottom mom...do you think those are the woodchuck's brains...I bet they are mom...look mom they are squishy..look mom...look Charlie , I can wear it on my head and I'm a woodchuck too.Seeeee.

It's okay just hose him down before he hits the tub....boys.
Beth