Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Maple Discovery


I'm not drinking my beloved coffee with chicory this week. It's an experiment to see if Poppy's eczema gets better without it.

I really do hope it works for her sake, though I must admit there's a small part of me that hopes it doesn't work, for my sake. It's not so much that I rely on the caffeine in the coffee as the fact that I really like the flavor of strong coffee with lots of milk. It's a comforting start to the day.

The cup of black tea with cream I've been drinking instead is literally a pale imitation of my coffee. A tannic, watery, definitely not as comforting start to the day.

However! I have discovered something good in the process of drinking tea every morning. One of the things I dislike about tea is that I feel it needs sweetener to make it less tannic and drinkable (for me), but I don't much enjoy the white sugar I usually use. And so I tried maple syrup.

Much, much better.

The maple flavor goes well with the tea, and it seems to go farther than sugar. In that I don't need as much of it for the tea to be drinkable.

Tea with maple syrup and cream is still a sad substitute for chicory coffee with milk, though. Boo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked in with your MiL? She is an expert on all kinds of tea. Mary in MN

tu mere said...

I'd be interested to hear how you determined chickory or coffee to possibly be the problem. I'll hope you can somehow determine it's just the chickory. Can't imagine a day starting without some brand of coffee. Hope you know you're the best mom ever, since the kids won't until way in the future!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mere: Mostly I stopped the coffee in solidarity with A., who wanted to try going without it himself for awhile. But I figured it couldn't hurt, as caffeine can be a trigger for some nursing babies. Itchy babies are the saddest.

Anonymous said...

That is true sacrifice of motherhood. I bow to you.
-moi

Anonymous said...

Oh wow we seem to be having the same coffee issues! I LOVE chicory coffee and chicory cocoa and drink it about 3 times a day, as well as regular coffee or mix the two. Does your chicory coffee have reg caffeinated coffee and chicory? The pure chicory coffee is delicious but obv no caffeine kick. I know this might not related to Poppy's skin condition if you are still just nursing but dairy is a huge culprit for asthma, excema (spelling, I know!), other auto-immune conditions, excess mucus etc? I had to really limit it and give up milk from aged 14 because of the juvenile arthritis link which is a kind of related inflammatory condition. Apologies for the essay! Have you tried a calendula cream? Joanne x