Sunday, June 3, 2018

A Bicycle Ride for Two


Early this morning while hanging out with Poppy, I had a train of thought that went like this, "I guess I'll give the kids Baca toast* for breakfast. Except we're out of honey. I could go get some from the honey stand down the road. Seems stupid to drive such a short distance, though. Hey, I could ride the bike."  

So when A. woke up, I told him I was going to ride the five miles to get honey. Cubby was the only boy awake at the time, and he begged to go. I couldn't refuse.


This was the darkest photo ever, which I only semi-successfully managed to lighten in editing.


Cubby's photography skills are obviously much better than mine. (Although I do not know why I look so short and squat in this photo. Maybe because I'm downhill of the photographer?)

It was a perfect morning for a bike ride: 60 degrees and sunny with a light wind. This road is very rural, with hay fields and woods all along the way. We only saw three cars the whole 40 minutes. The 2.5 miles to the honey stand are slightly uphill, but then the whole way home is coasting downhill. Cubby was so happy to be with me, I couldn't be disappointed that my solo bike ride had become a bonding experience. 

He dropped the following gems at different times on the ride:

"We're really free now! Just you and me--no Charlie, no Jack, no Poppy crying . . ."

While coasting fast downhill, "We're really leaving our worries behind now! Even they can't go this fast!"

And at the very end, where the slope is steepest and we were really whipping right along, "I don't know why, but for some reason today I feel the need for speed."



And there's the speed demon himself, clutching his prize.

When we got home, Cubby actually elected to have cinnamon toast rather than Baca toast, so I guess the trip for honey was unnecessary. In this case, however, it was definitely the journey and not the destination that mattered.

* Baca toast is toast with peanut butter and honey. It's named for my dad--given the moniker "Baca" by the first grandchild--who frequently has this toast for breakfast. It's a weekend treat at our house, given its drippiness and likelihood of requiring a change of clothing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cubby Cubby how precious. More in sync with Mom than you even know! I don't think that either of you will ever forget this trip.

Anonymous said...

Awww! What wonderful time spent with Cubby!
Linda

Joellen said...

Wonderful that you got to spend alone time with Cubby. Judging by his comments he cherished your trip. As for the speed comment, you never know maybe he will join the Navy and be Top Gun pilot.

Anonymous said...

I think it is BRILL that you rode out for your honey! Both the baca and cinnamon toast sounds delicious - how do you make your cinnamon toast? Ha, another TG reference above!! You'd have to teach him to be a 'dork' as well though ;)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Europafox: I totally thought of you when he said that. :-) He's never even seen the movie. Cinnamon toast--bread toasted as crispy as you like (obviously), then lavishly buttered and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. I use quite a bit of cinnamon on mine, though I think most people go heavier on the sugar. Then you spread it all together and it melts into a glaze of pure deliciousness.

tu mere said...

So excited about y'all's bike ride, both for you and for Cubby. You are absolutely correct about the roads y'all traveled. Beautifully rural and almost free of cars. Great idea, mom. Now all you need is you own bike! Will think about you as Baca and I bike on Coronado Island the next few days.