Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Long-Awaited Photos


What? You haven't all been checking back here every day to see the stunning photos of our exciting cross-country trip with four children? Well, too bad. Because here they are. Wheee!

So how did I drive 1,800 miles with four little kids and no electronic devices? I sat in the middle of the van next to Poppy and created Mom Command Central from which I could pass out distractions to the front and back.


Cooler of food and water bottles, bag of snacks, bag of books and drawing supplies. We also had the entire Chronicles of Narnia on audio book, which was great for Cubby and Charlie, though less entertaining for the younger two.

Never if he can help it will A. stay in a chain hotel. We always stayed at little motels, the kind that still have real keys and you park your car right in front of your door. The first was in Olney, Illinois. It was . . . not luxurious.


Also, it was raining.

But it had a microwave to heat up our dinner AND a free breakfast in the morning of cereal and various nasty boxed doughnuts and things. Cubby ate three doughnuts to make up for the fact that he had to sleep on the floor with Charlie.

Next we stopped at a motel in Wheatland, Missouri.


Welcome to the heartland.

This was a nicer motel in a much nicer environment.


Farm fields in back, tractor in the yard. 

Plus, the owner had many tomatoes in pots next to the motel, with several ripening on the windowsill.


Hello, my pretties.

When I remarked on it--because gardeners will always talk with other gardeners about their gardens--he told me to feel free to pick some tomatoes. I only had one. It was really good.

There was also a "country store" with a cafe at the gas station across the street. The store was actually a small grocery store at which I could replenish our supply of cheese and cucumbers, and the cafe had real ice cream. 

If only there hadn't been a glaring light outside our motel room window all night--and no curtains to block the light--it would have been perfect.

In Kansas, we stopped at the Little House on the Prairie Museum outside of Independence.


The children were thrilled.

It was actually a good place to stop for them. There were picnic tables for our picnic lunch, and they could run around outside and be insane. Which is what they did every time we stopped. I can't blame them. I mean, they were sitting in a car for hours every day. Sitting is not the natural state of a little boy. And so, when they weren't sitting, they were running.


Exhibit A. And you can see why I didn't think going into a restaurant and having them sit down to eat would be a good idea.

Last motel stop: Protection, Kansas. This was quite a ways beyond where we had planned on stopping for the night, but the motels were closed in the other towns we went through. We almost missed this one because it was hidden by the tree, and it had a for sale sign out front, but it was open. AND, there were three beds in our room. Plus a small grocery store across the street.


Big tree, little motel.

Next morning, we stopped at the Big Basin Prairie Preserve to let everyone run around for awhile.


Little (big?) family on the prairie.

There was certainly a lot of space for running.


Or, in Poppy's case, flailing.


The boys spent their time trying to catch grasshoppers. Only Cubby was successful.

And at last, we made it to New Mexico.


I know Montana is technically Big Sky Country, but New Mexico can lay claim to that title, too.

There! It took me over a week to get around to documenting our trip, but it was worth the wait, right?

Right. (Humor me.)

19 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Truly it is, surprised you have time to do it yet. So far, this has been super exciting for me too.

Anonymous said...

You saw and now live in areas of the country that are gloriously beautiful. Different from the upper midwest where I live, but glorious nonetheless. I hope everyone enjoys exploring the new places and sights. I also hope you are recovered from a challenging time.

Anonymous said...

It was worth the wait! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Great to see the post of your moving trip. I'm still amazed that you prepared & brought all your food along for this trip.
Linda

Sherry said...

Amazing! I rolled my eyes and shuddered to think of you traveling across country with four little ones, but you handled it wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention in my earlier comment - Yay to A. for supporting the independent motel/hotel owner!
Linda

Anonymous said...

I adore the New Mexico photo. I was born there along the eastern edge and have a general idea of where you probably are (approximately; I am not stalking). True New Mexicans, particularly the ranching type, tend to be delightful folks. Be sure to try some roasted Hatch chilies! You're just in time for the season. They definitely can be hot, which is a very unwelcome surprise for those who are not into spicy foods, so be sure to find the mild variety to start with unless all the kids like spicy foods. They're awesome with breakfast burritos or huevos rancheros!

Cheryl said...

I saw on Kristy's blog you went food shopping. When you have time, tell me how you decided what to buy, how much you bought, and how long it we last. Crazy I know but I can't image having to drive so far (takes me 15 minutes) to shop. Whenever you have time, no rush. I read your blog every couple of days. Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your road trip!! And at last I got to see what a real prairie looks like! Sorry to hear your motel experiences weren't that great, I bet it was a relief to get to the tomato motel. But no curtains? As a hotelier I am thinking what the heck?! Glad you arrived safe and sound xx

Anonymous said...

I love all your updates! I have lived in Kansas all my life and never heard of these towns!!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cheryl: I'm still figuring it out, but I'll probably do an entire post about grocery shopping soon. Because that's how thrilling this blog (and my life) is.

Europafox: I didn't expect good hotel experiences with A. I've never yet had one. :-) There were cheap white blinds on the window at the tomato motel, but they didn't block much light. Only blackout curtains would have worked.

Anonymous said...

I figured out Anonymous at 12:51 a.m. and texted her, and we both think we have guessed from the last photo where you are. :) Recognized geography is my favorite kind of coincidence. Best wishes to all of you!
Karen.

Anonymous said...

And here I thought A.'s intentions were noble (staying at mom & pop hotels/motels) not a lesson in terrible hotel experiences for you. :)
Linda

Anna said...

I live in SE Missouri and was thinking about you on your drive!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Well, he does approve of patronizing independently owned anything, but mostly he likes those motels because they're cheap. The most expensive one on this trip was $70 a night. They also tend to be the only option on the small roads he prefers to drive on. And honestly, if you're sleeping in a room with four little kids, it's going to be terrible and it doesn't matter how luxurious it is. Might as well go for the cheap ones. You won't sleep any worse than if you were in a $200-a-night Holiday Inn.

Unknown said...

Eek! I would not have survived in those hotels. I am a bit of a hotel snob … but I guess that's my weakness. I would totally have stuck to the no eating out thing while traveling. How much do you think you budgeted for this roadtrip??

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lindsay: What did we spend, you mean? I don't know how much the gas ended up being--the van gets about 14 miles to the gallon when towing--and I didn't pay any attention to how much I spent on the food I bought to bring with us. But as far as cash out of pocket on the road for motels, tolls, the museum fee, and other food like the night we got ice cream for a treat . . . maybe $300.

tu mere said...

Y'all's expenses sound like something a backpacker touring overseas, staying at hostels, buying all their food at stores, etc. (you get the picture), would write about. $300 is totally incredible; you've cracked the code on how to travel with kids and what's important on the road. Restaurant food is highly overrated, and wastes time and money to boot. Not so sure about the hotels, but sleep masks work, trust me on that one! Great job, mom.

Unknown said...

@Kristin - that's so impressive. I wish I was as frugal. I guess I need to start watching what I spend a little more closely. Looking forward to reading along on as you journey through living in New Mexico!