Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Transplants


The whole 1,800 miles from Blackrock to our new house in New Mexico, I had two very important jars in our food coolers. One jar contained my sourdough starter. I knew I could make another starter from scratch if necessary in New Mexico, but it takes a week or so and I wanted to be able to make bread right away.

The other jar contained homemade yogurt to use as yogurt starter. That yogurt's original starter was yogurt from a farm near the MiL's house that A. bought over four years ago. I was pretty sure I would not be finding a farm with homemade yogurt near our new house in beef cattle country.

So I brought all those native New York bacteria with me.

I wasn't sure how well they would travel. Though they did keep cool in the coolers all the way, there was a lot of jostling and some temperature variation as ice melted and was added.

Three hours after walking in our new door, I mixed the sourdough starter with water and flour and crossed my fingers. Twenty-four hours after arriving at our new house, I was taking loaves of bread out of the oven*.

The next day was yogurt day. When I put them in the refrigerator here, the yogurt looked as if there was a lot of liquid separated. I was not all that confident that it would work to start new yogurt, but I only had a gallon of milk to lose if it didn't, and no other way to get a yogurt starter without driving 100 miles.

I made the yogurt without a thermometer, because I hadn't found it yet. I've been making yogurt long enough now that I can roughly gauge the right time to do everything, anyway.

The yogurt worked, too.

So now we have a little bit of New York in our New Mexico kitchen. Success.

* Loaves that had been in the oven for almost two hours, because, at 6,000 feet, I am now solidly in high-altitude baking range. This is going to be a learning experience.

5 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Great thing. Two more success stories for the new house. Starting out on a great footing.

mil said...

I baked a lot of bread when we lived in Albuquerque at about 4,500 ft, but I don't remember its taking forever. My old Joy of Cooking suggests raising the temp for cakes, and I think you could safely take it up 50 degrees (your oven might have an inaccurate thermostat. You can certainly expect the bread to rise faster and bake slower, but the baking time should not be more than 15 or 20 minutes longer. Congrats on the success of the yogurt, which is more delicate than sourdough. Goat's milk yogurt would be great--

Cathy R said...

Ahhh, the "wonders" of high altitude baking. *sigh* Good luck and please share any hints you develop. I still can't get a decent 100% whole wheat bread to work in Denver.

Anonymous said...

Second Gemma's comment above - starting out on a great footing!
Linda

Anonymous said...

You are unbelievably impressive - seriously you should write a book about 'living right and living real'. I won't even pretend to say I will copy what you have done - its just not in my skillset!! Would love to see photos of your food! J xx Then I can just torture myself with the images.