Sunday, October 28, 2018

Friday Family Fun: Definitely Low-Key


We didn't have a big outing planned for this past Friday, but that doesn't mean there wasn't fun to be had! Oh no! We know how to have a good time no matter what.

A. took Cubby rabbit hunting (unsuccessfully) in the morning, and the younger two boys and I spent some time prepping for Halloween.

First, we carved our pumpkin.


Charlie requested "scary," but I think the end result is more "goofy."

It was really helpful that Jack had broken the stem off it almost immediately after I bought it, so it's starting to decompose and it was a lot softer than most pumpkins.

Way to look on the bright side, right?

Then I had to make Charlie a dagger for his Army costume. I had made Cubby a Samurai sword (technically known as a katana--you're welcome for the history lesson) for his Samurai costume and Jack a jet pack for his astronaut costume, so of course Charlie must have one of my carefully crafted cardboard/duct tape/aluminum foil creations.


I've finally found my medium as an artist.

After Cubby got home from his hunting, the boys disappeared to the back of the house to play for quite awhile. A. and I remarked to each other how nice it was that they were all playing outside so nicely for so long. 

I should have known better. When I went outside to check on them, I found that they were "mixing paint" in a cooler. 


Once a mud monster, always a mud monster.

They used this paint for their original creations.


Our propane tank really was screaming for decoration.


I was less pleased about the back door as a canvas.

I guess they've found their medium as artists, too.

After baths for all of them, A. took them up to the new house with him while he split wood and did various other things.

Poppy and I did our thing here at this house.


Or rather, she did her thing. I don't generally crawl under the table and chew on plastic pipettes.

We ended Fun Friday with a popcorn and movie night. Cubby won a DVD of Moana--one of the newer Disney movies--in a raffle at the school's health fair, so they watched that. AND they got to eat popcorn on the couch. That's the really exciting part.


Poppy even got to watch for a few minutes*.

Parts of it were too scary for Jack, but he was interested enough to go back and keep watching after taking a break to tell me how scary it was.

And that was Fun Friday. No long drives or dramatic canyons, but life can't be all drama, can it?

* If you're wondering why they're watching it on a laptop, it's because we don't own a TV.

5 comments:

mil said...

The bigger the screen, the scarier the scary parts. I think damping down on the scary is good (sayeth the person who was always scared by the Disney movies on the big screen, i.e. Snow White and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow).

Anonymous said...

When I first read the part about the boys mixing paint, I thought it was real paint, (oh no!!!)...had to go back & read again. Some rain and it will be gone!
Nothing wrong with low-key Fridays.
Linda

Anonymous said...

You are my HERO. I could happily live without a TV. TVs are actually a breaking point in our marriage - my husband tries to bring bigger ones into the house and I literally see red. I compromise with one smallish one that is on for about an hour at night. Your pumpkin carving is pretty good!! You stayed pretty calm about the back door by the sounds of it? I am hoping it cam off? J xx

Tara said...

I love the ears on toothpicks! Very Baca-ish.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Europafox: Yes, it wiped right off. Benefit of plastic trailer construction. I suspect real wood would have been stained by the reddish clay in the soil, but the fake stuff is easy to clean.