Sunday, October 14, 2018

My Girl


When I had just the three boys, people would not infrequently ask me if I was "done," or if I was going to "try for a girl."

This is, of course, a ridiculous query. As if I had any say in the matter. You don't "try" for a baby of a specific sex. You try for a baby.

My decision to have another child was not because I wanted a girl. I said that at the time, and I say it now. I meant it then, and I mean it now. I would not have been sad if I had another boy. All I wanted was another child.

And I got one. Which happened to be a girl.

So now people say, "You must be so happy to have a girl!"

Well, no. I'm not happy to have a girl. I'm happy to have this girl. My girl.



I'll let The Temptations take it from here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Exactly.

Karen.

Gemma's person said...

Your girl is such a smiley, happy looking girl.

R's Rue said...

Love.

Cheryl said...

She is adorable.

Joellen said...

She is such a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

Yes. And these types of questions are particularly inexcusable if they're asked right in front of the other children, and most especially if those other kids are old enough to suddenly wonder: Are Mom and Dad sad that I wasn't a girl (or boy)? Did they really want a boy (or girl) instead of me?

Sherry said...

Cute picture. Yes, I am well aware of the well intentioned but totally misguided questions people can ask. I was an only child. People would often ask - in my presence - "You just have the one?" Later on, I had twins. Nothing could have made me or my husband happier. Often people would say, "I'm glad they are yours and not mine" (implying twins were a lot more work). I soon learned to respond, "So am I." But as we get older, we realize too many people open their mouths before they open their brain!

Anonymous said...

What is the worst Kristin is if someone asks you (say a random stranger at a kids party, as happened to me A LOT) when C was little - are you having more and when I responded 'we don't think so' they would ask (total strangers) 'why not?'. I ended up responding, just for kicks, and to avoid them prying further -' because I don't like children enough.' Poppy is amazing, and you are right - where is the sense in 'are you trying for a girl' Perhaps we are to wear pink at point of conception? Poppr comes across as a strong character, independent, but cute of course, at the same time. Gorgeous photo!