Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The War on Paneling


I am proud to announce that all of the atrocious fake paneling in our new house has either been removed or painted over.

It was a big moment for me when I realized that today. I completed the conquest of the paneling by priming Poppy's soon-to-be room for painting.

Her room, which I didn't get a picture of before I started, was covered floor to ceiling with even uglier paneling than the kind in the living room. You might think that is not possible. It is. This paneling had little dark spots all over it that I guess were supposed to be fake knot holes or something. I don't know. It was awful.

The room is also tiny and, worst of all, it has no window. So try to imagine a miniscule room with no natural light, fake paneling on every surface, and brown carpet.


This is the only picture I got of the wretched paneling. It is, of course, blurry, because there's no light in there. Because there's no window.

I can't put my bubbly little girl in a depressing brown cave.


Not a bear cub; doesn't need to live in a cave.

Anyway, I got it all primed today in preparation for painting, and it occurred to me while I was toiling away in this nasty brown cave-room that we could cut a window in the door for her to get some light in. There's actually a window right across from her door in the hallway, so this would help. We'd have to cover it with Plexiglass or something. I haven't figured out the details, but I'm working on it.

The living room has also been completely primed and is ready for painting.


Overwhelmingly white at the moment, but a vast improvement from overwhelmingly brown.

So the next small chunk of time I have, I can start cutting in by the ceilings and floors, and then it's only a swish (or several dozen swishes) of the roller and I will have a fully painted living room. And Poppy won't have to sleep in a cave.

Progress.

6 comments:

mil said...

Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe how much better the living room looks & you are not even finished with it yet.
Your new home is really shaping up.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Good goin' ! Lookin' good ! Supermom once again!

tu mere said...

Even though Poppy has been sleeping in a closet, she at least had a window, so you're completely on track with the door/window idea. Good thinking! Happy, happy to see the paneling gone, but hope the carpet is also on the "out of here" list. If not, I'm sure you'll make do. So much work!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you resisted the temptation to use WMD in your war on panelling. I think even a small amount of explosive, no matter how satisfying, might not have been a good idea. Hahah! Joking aside, WELL DONE - how satisfying! And yes, I can imagine Poppy might not have lived living in a brown cave. Cracking on Mama, cracking on!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Europafox: That WOULD have been satisfying. Possibly easier, too, to destroy it all and start again. Big risk of fire here the arid west, though, so I guess it's for the best I went the painting route instead of blowing it up.