Monday, November 26, 2018

Some Progress


Our moving week is progressing about as I expected. That is, random and rather chaotic, but steady. We brought another trailer-load of things up to the new house today. I unpacked the kitchen things right away, mostly because I need the paper and boxes to move more kitchen things.

I have a lot of kitchen things. And many of them are very, very heavy. About the only downside to cooking exclusively with cast iron and stainless steel is that they are heavy as hell. I'm used to it when I'm actually cooking, but when I start adding the various pots and pans to boxes and then realize I can't actually lift the box, I can see some of the appeal of lightweight cookware.

Anyway.

I took a moving picture for you.


You're welcome.

You may notice that my "new" kitchen is not exactly state of the art. Here is the story about this kitchen that I tell everyone: When the guy we bought the house from--name of Dale--was showing me around, we walked into this very, ahem, basic kitchen and he said, in his very Western drawl, "Now this kitchen. Ev'ry woman luuuuvs this kitchen." 

And that, Dale, is probably why you are single.

Despite the lack of granite countertops--they're this odd cushiony yellow stuff--and high-end appliances, it's not so bad. Of course, my frame of reference is the 1920s-era kitchen at Blackrock, so this 1970s trailer kitchen seems pretty modern in comparison. It at least had a spot for a dishwasher and enough electricity for it. Positively luxurious.

Also, the dining room has the perfect spot for my lovely liquor cabinet.


A spot under a very bright window that makes it impossible to get a good picture, but you get the idea.

You can see that I don't have a lot of liquor in that liquor cabinet yet, but I do have a bottle of gin big enough that it doesn't fit in any of the spaces under the cabinet. Classy, no?

That bottle is just sitting there in that house, waiting on us to finish our labors and toast the completion of our move with a cocktail.

We're getting there.

9 comments:

Blue Gal said...

Okay, at this point I have to ask, especially having just driven through rural New Mexico. Why NM???

Anonymous said...

Yay! A dishwasher for you!
Linda

Tara said...

That is NOT a lot of counter space. Luckily, looks like you have room for a butcher block cabinet or another work space?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Blue Gal: Mostly we wanted a place within a day's drive of southern Arizona, where most of our family is now. But New Mexico has other benefits for us: primarily a very low cost of living, but also helpful programs for rural residents (bookmobiles, school programs, guaranteed home owner's insurance), good weather, spectacular scenery. And this particular village has one of the highest-rated public schools in the state.

I can tell from your comment that you weren't very impressed with wherever you were driving, and it's certainly not for everyone, but it seems to suit us very well.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Tara: About as much as Blackrock, which no, is not a lot. But I could put in an island in the middle. That might get added to Dad's list of requests . . .

Anonymous said...

Pursuant to 5:16 a.m. comment, I feel like you fit in with New Mexicans in general, though obvs I don't know you. People in New Mexico pick a thing to do and do it hard core, all in. Skiing, rappelling, ballooning, rodeoing, ranching, farming, teaching, investing, gardening, weaving, whatever. Running the world's worst Walmart. Pedal to the metal, all the time. I feel like you fit in.

Karen.

Blue Gal said...

I love the central part of NM; we've driven from Texas to Arizona a few times now and a detoured through Datil and Pie Town, which was a nice drive. Super quiet and peaceful too. We just drove through southern NM on our last trip which is...not my favorite. Ha. Didn't mean to sound judgey though!

Anonymous said...

I have a mobile island in my kitchen which I like more and more as time passes. It adds storage space, counter space and has a drop leaf extension to pull up to for informal eating. (Which explains the vast majority of the dining experiences in my home.) It has locking wheels for stability, and yet I can still move it to do a thorough cleaning.I have a couple of bar stools - I know - what good is that for your large family. Maybe you could have your builders make a bench? Ignore my ramblings, you are nothing if not resourceful, and I know you will have it feeling like home in no time. KS reader

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen: I'll take that as a compliment. Though I'm not sure what I'm that hard core about. Well, food. I guess that's the obvious one, right?

Blue Gal: We came that way this time on our way back from Arizona. That is nice country there. And I must say, southern New Mexico isn't my favorite scenery either. Good thing I don't live there.

KS: Ramble away. I will take any and all suggestions. Not that I'll implement them, but I'm interested to hear them.