Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Please Pause for a Cookie Poll


As part of their "Lessons in Giving" holiday unit at school, Cubby's and Charlie's classes are putting together gift baskets for senior citizens. They were encouraged to come up with their own ideas of what senior citizens might like that the students could make.

Charlie thought of candy. Cubby's idea was cookies*. Which of course meant that they volunteered me to provide these things.

This is fine, of course. I briefly considering making fudge or something--probably the extent of my candy-making skill--before deciding to just get holiday-themed Snickers and peanut butter candies. I also got some Kit Kats, because that's what Charlie thought would be best.

But I couldn't bring myself to buy cookies. I mean, I don't particularly like making cookies, but at least they don't require a candy thermometer and such terminology as "soft-ball stage."

When I inquired of Charlie's teacher how many baskets they anticipated making, she told me 125. Say what? I was thinking more like a couple dozen. She went on to assure me that I didn't have to make that many cookies, as other people were contributing, too.

But I figure I do still have to make several dozen to have, say, three or four cookies for maybe a third of those baskets.

When I asked Cubby what kind I should make, he suggested oatmeal cookies. Unsurprisingly, that was what I was thinking, too.

Next I asked Cubby if he thought I should make them with raisins or chocolate chips. Oh, definitely chocolate chips, he replied. Chocolate chips are way better.

I must admit that I am also in the chocolate chip camp and always make them that way, which is probably why Cubby has that same preference. However, most older people I know prefer raisins. A. does, too, as those are what he had as a boy.

So I'm making one batch with raisins and one with chocolate chips (the cinnamon, however, is non-negotiable and goes in both kinds), but it got me thinking: What's the clear favorite?

And that, of course, is our poll.

What kind of oatmeal cookie do you consider supreme?

A) Oatmeal-raisin

B) Oatmeal-chocolate chip

C) Either as long as there's a cookie involved

or

D) Pass on the oatmeal cookie entirely (in which case, what do you consider the best cookie?)

* I suspect these were more things they would personally like to receive, but then, we all know kids are the ultimate narcissists.

25 comments:

Quilty Chaos said...

I'm voting B! Oatmeal cookies must have chocolate chips in them. White "chocolate" chips and dried cranberries are good too. I do have to split my batches and put raisins in some to avoid marital strife, but I do it under protest because raisins are gross.

Anonymous said...

I would like the oatmeal raisin, my husband, the oatmeal chocolate chip.
I don't really want to admit this, but I'm the assistant director at a senior center, & our seniors always seem to go for the sweeter the better. Maybe your NM seniors might have different tastes than the ones here in PA. Hah!
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Yup, that's why I didn't cut the amount of sugar in the recipe, which is what I normally do. Something to do with your taste buds getting less sensitive when you get older, I think? Who knows. But I do know that older people like reeeeeally sweet things.

Anonymous said...

Raisins, definitely! I don't even like them with chocolate chips; they taste "weird" to me. No cinnamon. Only vanilla.
Mikey

Anonymous said...

D) do not like oatmeal at all! however my DH loves them & would be pleased with any additional ingredient!
Plain-raisin-chocolate-white chocolate-craisens-nuts-dried berries-in any combination.
Such a thoughtful project for the littles to do!! The seniors are lucky to have such generosity in your community.
Kuddos to the parents for their support.
Well done!

Becky said...

Having been raised on Toll House Cookies, I'm in the chocolate chip camp. As a note, my mom had a super sweet tooth all her life, but it diminished in her very old age. Towards the end, a pkg of fake sweetener lasted her through about 8 cups of coffee, maybe 10.

Lindsay C said...

I like the white chocolate and dried cranberry recommendation. If given only two choices I'd probably choose the oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips! I need the sweet! :)

Tara said...

I do love cookies. And I’m happy with either in oatmeal ones, but chocolate chips might win out.

flask said...

oatmeal? raisin.

chocolate chips are for some other kind of cookie.

Kay said...

Oatmeal raisin yes, but even better are Oatmeal Scotchies with Butterscotch Chips and a hint of orange rind.

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal with a small amount of chocolate chips and lots of pecans. That is our favorite cookie. I don't like raisins so you won't find them in this house.

Ruth said...

Definitely oatmeal-raisin. My recipe soaks(for about an hour) the raisins in the egg/vanilla mixture required for the recipe. It really infuses them with the vanilla flavor. Yup, kids might be self-absorbed, but they're learning early on at school and at home to think of others- always a good practice.

Anonymous said...

Ruth, would you consider sharing your recipe? I make oatmeal raisin cookies for my beloved 95 year old neighbor using the recipe on the box lid. KS reader

Mary W said...

Oatmeal-raisin

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal raisin

Cathy R said...

Why not both? In the past, I would have said Oatmeal with Butterscotch chips, but the last time I made them, they were so sweet that I couldn't eat them.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate chips.

Fruit is good. Nuts are good. Don't mix either of 'em into my cookies, though, lol.

Karen.

Anonymous said...

Only raisins, but the illusion that I am eating healthy! Mary in MN

Pippa said...

D. I do not like oatmeal cookies and hate raisins. My favorite is chocolate chip. I also have a great, easy peanut butter fudge recipe that is fantastic if you want it. Takes about 10 minutes to make.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, you had me at "cookie." They're all yummy. Except the ones with macadamia nuts. My gut isn't well suited to macadamia nuts, apparently.

Natalie said...

Oatmeal raisin!

Shelley said...

Oatmeal choc chip...raisins belong in NOTHING...

Lisa said...

Really oatmeal with butterscotch chips is best, but raisins are definitely second.

tu mere said...

Both! Thebest of both worlds.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm they all sound nice to me! My grandparents loved Kit-Kats. Of course our biscuits can be different to yours and some of my Grandparent's and my favourites are ginger biscuits and shortbread x