Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Post-Move, Pre-Unpacked

Hello from our new house, my lovelies! The internet guy showed up completely unannounced today and hooked us all up with phone and internet service. You can all thank Ray for the fact that I am now able to unleash my regularly scheduled (or rather, sporadic and random) drivel upon the online world once again.

So what have we been up to? Well, we moved. And we ate dinner.

First dinner in the new house, as you can tell from the background chaos of boxes, random wires, and crap on the floor.

That, by the way, was supposed to be the night that I was too exhausted to cook and I was planning on just setting out whatever random assortment of proteins, grains, and vegetables I had on hand to let everyone get their own meal. 

Yeah, so much for that. I was exhausted, but I still cooked pasta with salami and cream cheese and an egg scramble with peppers and onions and cheese. I think I might have Compulsive Cooking Disorder. I just can't make myself sit down to a "meal" of random foods if there's any possibility of having a cooked meal instead.


Now that we no longer live 200 yards from the school, the boys take the bus. This school only has two (very small) buses. The bus that comes to our house only picks up one other child. It's a pretty good situation, as far as riding the bus goes.

Plus, the view while waiting for the bus is pretty great.

I'm still trying to adjust to my new kitchen--the stove burners seem to go directly from scorching flame to extinguished without much middle ground, and there's really no convenient place to hang my dish towel yet--but A. put up a temporary clothesline for me today, so I know I really live here now.

I just have to be really careful not to drop anything in the dirt while I'm hanging it up.

A. also very kindly set up the bunk bed for Charlie and Jack--this took him four entire hours, as he was doing some adjustments to the original structure--and has screwed in approximately five million screws for hooks, racks, bookcase braces, and various other things that need to be attached to a wall. 

All the furniture is in place and I'm slowly working my way through all the boxes and bags of very-hastily packed things, some of which I never found from the first move. I'm going to have to brave the dreaded Walmart again to get a few things that I don't want to have shipped (laundry baskets, trash cans, and so forth). But soon. Soon everything will be put away in some semblance of order, and then all I have to do is keep it that way.

Well, I can hope, anyway.


Marsha said...

Glad you have internet, glad you are ending the move. Good picture of your family.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool that your property is fenced in & even has a gate by the road. Love it! Was there ever a sign on the frame by the end of the driveway? Such as "Welcome to the _____ ranch"?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Martha: Me too. :-)

Linda: This was never a ranch, although many of the older homes here are still all fenced in because New Mexico is an open range state. Meaning it's the obligation of the property owner to fence, not the livestock owners. Technically, if the horses in the neighboring field wandered in and ate my garden, the horses' owner wouldn't be at fault. Although most pastures are fenced anyway. It's just the biggest ranches--thousands and thousands of acres--that have open range.

I was just saying to A. the other day that it would be kind of funny to put our family name on the top of the crossbar, like the ranches do.

Gemma's person said...

Thanks Ray...we can't do without her.

Anonymous said...

Well CCD lady your post moving in accomplishments are pretty darn impressive! Loved the view from the front of your house too - magical. I know it is a huge job but I do love moving in and having that fresh start. Looking forward to seeing how it all progresses! J xx