Monday, December 31, 2018

The Furnace Curse


It's December 31st, and we know what that means! It means while the rest of the world is gearing up for a night of champagne-fueled revelry to ring in a new year, the Woodchuck Family is cursing and scrambling to fix a furnace.

Oh yes. Again. What are the odds this would happen to us again a year to the day that it happened last time? In a different state! With a different furnace!

Low. The odds are low. And yet . . .

When I was up at 2:30 this morning for the third time with Poppy, it sort of blearily dawned on me that it was pretty cold in her room. So I checked the thermostat. It was set for 65 degrees, but it was 54 degrees in the house.

I just stood there for a second in my pajamas staring at the read-out before realizing that meant the furnace wasn't working. At which point I thought to myself, "You have got to be kidding me." With a very profane adjective before "kidding," I'm afraid.

Anyway. At least I knew why she kept waking up. Nothing to be done at that hour except bring the baby into bed with us. I told A. the furnace wasn't working and he got up to get the woodstove going again. This took the chill off the kitchen at least, but it was still too cold to put Poppy back in her crib.

I laid there listening to the furnace trying to start over and over again before eventually getting up at 4 a.m. to turn it off entirely. I didn't bother going back to bed. I wasn't going to be sleeping anymore, anyway, and I figured that way I could keep the fire going.

Since I was up, I checked the weather forecast, which was a winter storm warning starting tonight: high winds, 3-10 inches of snow, five degrees . . . How's that for timing?

We really needed to get that furnace going.

At first I thought we might be out of propane, as we had been getting low, but the propane-fueled stove was still working, as was the propane hot water heater. Then I thought maybe the furnace needed a new air filter, as that was part of the problem last time. The previous owner had left behind a new air filter (thanks, Dale!), so I slid that in there. Nope.

A. eventually got up and climbed up on the roof to be sure the vent wasn't iced over. Nope.

Next I started many rounds of phone calls to the propane company, trying to find a service guy that knew anything about newer furnaces like this one. No luck. One eventually told me to call a heating and cooling contractor he knew, and it was that kind man who diagnosed the problem over the phone. The drain was frozen.

So A. disconnected the drain hose and let the accumulated water drain into a jar. The furnace started working. Hooray!

Of course, it was still frozen underneath the house somewhere, which was not something we could easily remedy, but he just left the jar under the disconnected hose and we can dump it occasionally.

The important thing is that we have heat. Happy new year, indeed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Only could happen again to your family. Thankfully, it was a not so expensive fix. Now, on to the New Years celebration. Happy New Years!
Linda

Tara said...

Thank goodness it happened today and not tomorrow (when more things are closed). Is it abnormally cold? It seems like an exposed pipe that froze over would have been noted by the previous owner.....
Happy New Year!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Tara: The furnace looks almost new, so A. thinks maybe this is the first winter it's been in this house.

Gemma's person said...

Thank goodness it could be diagnosed over the phone and it was an easy fix....good luck on the rest of the cold wave.
New Mexico....who would've thunk it.

Kay said...

I work for an HVAC company and it's really cold here in NE too. I'm the call person so have been checking the messages. Only one so far but I'm sure by morning there will be more. Does your basement need to be insulated. I've never heard of the condensate line freezing before.
Or do you have a Heat Pump? Those do freeze up if it gets too cold. (I know just enough to be dangerous.)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kay: All the guys I talked to yesterday were crazy busy thanks to the weather. It's definitely the drainage hose, because it's been disconnected and the furnace is working perfectly. There's no basement in this house, so when the ground freezes, I guess the hose running into the ground freezes, too. Seems like a stupid set-up to me, but that appears to be the case. A. has to see if he can get under there sometime to insulate it or something, but for now, it's just draining into a jar.