Sunday, February 24, 2019

A Table for the Generations


Some time ago, before we even left northern New York, my dad e-mailed me to let me know that my aunt wanted to find a new home for a dining room table my grandfather had made over fifty years ago. He went on to tell me it came with eight chairs and everything was solid oak. I believe he might have  said that even my children wouldn't be able to break this table.

I think we have a reputation.

Anyway, he asked if I wanted it. Hmmm, let me think on this . . . a free, solid oak table big enough for my somewhat large family and made by my grandfather? YES, PLEEEEEASE.

Of course, we were about to move cross-country, so we weren't going to bring it to New York. The logistics of picking this thing up involved the table getting moved to a different aunt's house in Wisconsin and A. driving a bit out of his way on his cross-country moving-truck journey with Cubby to pick it up there. It added about a day to his trip, but he has never regretted it. Because this table is, indeed, solid.

The chairs are heavy and not easy to knock over, which is also a consideration with my wrecking-ball sons.* There are enough chairs for all of us, with some left over for any visitors. And it has extra leaves, so I can make the table itself even bigger.

It's pretty big even without the leaves in it, so that's the way I left it since we got it.


Big enough for the first dinner at our new house.

It was big enough, but kind of barely. I sit next to Charlie at the table. He had a tendency to get right in my space while we were eating, which drove me crazy. I mean, I love my son, but I do not want him hanging on my arm while I'm trying to eat. And I don't need anything else to make me crazy during our already admittedly crazy-making meals.

I don't know why it took me so long to just put another dang leaf on the table. But yesterday, I did. I put in two, actually, for extra room to move (and get away from Charlie). It took me about five minutes, and now I'm freeeeee.


Look at all that room between the chairs! Hooray!

I also discovered when I was pulling the table apart to slide in the leaves that Grandpa put an actual gear on the track so it would slide easily.


Cool.

There's even one extra leaf if there should come a day that I decide I want even more space. Say, when I have three hulking teenage boys shoveling in food around my table. Ahem.

At the time my grandfather made this table, he himself had three hulking teenage boys, plus two daughters. I like to think he would appreciate that the table he made for them is being put to good use by one of his grandchildren and her rambunctious family.

Thanks, Grandpa. It was the perfect family table then, and it's the perfect family table now.

* Although a couple of them are already getting loose at the joints thanks to said sons dragging them across the floor to climb up to the kitchen cabinets. Sigh.

Edited to Add: I was apparently very off in my guess as to when the table was made. My dad set me straight: "Actually table was made by my Dad while he was a student at Boys Technical High School. Circa 1940. The idea was smart boys, would learn a trade, plumber, electrician etc. My Dad's trade was as a cabinet maker, at the time a high paying position. He finished high school and then started a one year extra apprenticeship at the school, part of the curriculum. Of course while he was in his last apprenticeship. WWII started, and like lot of 19 year olds he was drafted into the Army."


4 comments:

Tara said...

Awesome. Can’t wait to see it in situ in less than a month!
And there will be room for me too. Since I am not small (and according to Shannon I hog table space). Ahem.

Anonymous said...

How cool is this!?! I have a dining room table & chairs made by my father, but it does not have that really cool gear. Just tracks to slide the actual table and/or the leaves. Keep us posted how it's going with the new expansion.
Linda

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful table and chair set - and the fact your Grandfather made it too - that is so impressive. It sounds like the type of table you can pass on to your children too (especially as you don't have a tag team of cats to scratch it to bits hahah!) I hope you all had a great weekend xx

Anonymous said...

That is a truly beautiful set. And it's always wonderful to have furniture pieces that have a family history.