Monday, February 25, 2019

Wish Fulfillment by Mom


Charlie's absolute favorite books are the two collections of "Calvin and Hobbes" comics I bought for our cross-country road trip this summer. He loves Calvin and references him and his antics constantly*.

A couple of weeks ago while I was keeping Charlie company during his bath, he said, "You know, there's one way I wish I was like Calvin: He gets to have bubble baths."

Charlie isn't very demanding, and I think it didn't even occur to him to ask why he doesn't get to have bubble baths. The only time my kids have had bubble baths is at my parents' house. Because I am mean and don't feel they need to soak in anything other than water.

However.

Charlie doesn't ask for much and he's a good kid, so I decided to get him some bubble bath. Of course, being the sort of person I am, I couldn't just go to a store and get some Mr. Bubble. I don't want any of my children soaking in a tub of chemicals, but particularly not Poppy. Her eczema is much better, but not all the way gone, so I'm still very careful of her skin. Thus, I bought the fragrance-free, organic, plant-derived stuff on Amazon.


Poppy was very confused by the bubbles. Jack was enthused.

Charlie got to have the first bath. He was getting undressed to get in when he said, "Oh! I was so excited I almost forgot to say thank you!"

You're welcome, Charlie. Just remember this the next time I serve you squash.

* Of course, Calvin is a smart-ass and I've had to have some conversations with Charlie about not wanting to hear Calvin's smart talk coming out of Charlie's mouth. A favorite Calvin quote of both Cubby and Charlie's: "We're obeying the letter of the law, not the spirit."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mom! Looks like Calvin, oh I mean Charlie, appreciated the bubbles. Poppy, I'm not so sure! She looks puzzled.
Linda

tu mere said...

You win with the free everything bubbles. It really does make baths fun, especially if you have a mirror they can use to see how funny they can make themselves look with the bubbles. Thinking that's not something you have handy, but it's really fun.

Really, who doesn't like Calvin and Hobbs. However, I can see where Charlie would be especially taken with Cavin and his "smart talk". It's always something, isn't it.

Anonymous said...

You really have neat kids!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mere: Amusingly enough, there's a full-length mirror on the back of the door in the kids' bathroom that is right next to the tub when the door is open. Perfect for viewing bubble beards and so on.

tu mere said...

Wow! You've got it all (referring to the mirror that is).

Those cookies really did not look appetizing. The table, however, is awesome as I'm sure the more distance your can put between the boys the better for all concerned! Little girl in big chair reminds me of Lilly Tomlin's skit. So cute. OK, that's my Friday comments. Guess you've come to understand I'm not so good at the Friday food rehash. Sorry.