Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I Got Spirit, Yes I Do


Okay, that's actually a complete lie. I have no spirit. Never have. I dislike dressing up, cheering at sports events, and coming up with cute ideas for theme days.

Unfortunately, I have to do all of that this week on the boys' behalf.

See, this week, in addition to being the week of Cubby's birthday and Valentine's Day, is also Spirit Week at their school, culminating in the homecoming basketball game tomorrow. So every day has a theme.

Monday was pajama day. Easy enough, although Charlie, being Charlie, elected not to participate.

Tuesday was dress as something that starts with the first letter of your name, or wear the first letter of your name and make words with your friends. Ooookay. Charlie came up with his own idea for this, which didn't make a lot of sense, but since he was willing to do it all himself, I let it ride. Cubby thought of something about ten minutes before the bus came, but it was too late and he ended up just taping his letter to his shirt.

Today is dress as what they want to be when they grow up. Super. As A. remarked, it's like having Halloween twice. And we all know I suck at Halloween.

However. I resolved to at least try.

Jack said he wants to be a construction worker.

Cubby said he wants to be a bush pilot.

Charlie said he wants to be a wild man (a survivalist without a job, that is)*.

So, with the aid of duct tape, construction paper, and various pieces of furs and random items, we have  . . .


I surpassed myself. Although surpassing myself is a pretty low bar.

Tomorrow they're supposed to dress as their school mascot or in team colors, which is fine, but they're also supposed to have mini-floats (made with, like, little wagons or strollers or whatever) for a halftime parade at the basketball game. Cubby made his at school with a classmate. Charlie told me, again, he didn't want to participate. Until this morning, when he decided he did.

So this afternoon, I will summon my fake spirit once again and help him make a float with Poppy's stroller and a "game board theme." Wish me luck.

I resisted the urge to tell Charlie he doesn't need a costume for that as that's his natural state.

3 comments:

tu mere said...

These activities are the future stressors you're not given any information on when you decide to have children. Since your sister got the only "joy in creativity" gene, and I'm still not sure where that came from, I can totally relate. Great job pulling it all together - again. More challenges to come in the future, I'm afraid, but you're apparently more than capable.

Anonymous said...

Good luck for tomorrow, but you probably won't need it. You are doing a fine job. Anyway, what's that saying about stepping out of your comfort zone !?! The boys look cute in their outfits.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Yes to the above. Plus: please keep sharing the experiences and pictures on your blog. I love reading them!!