Wednesday, February 20, 2019

I May Have a Problem


My clock inexplicably lost power sometime last night, and so when I woke up this morning I thought it was time to get up. Then I got in the bathroom and saw on my watch that it was 4:30 a.m., not 5:25 a.m.

You may recall that I try never to get up before 5 a.m., even if I'm awake. So I went back to bed for a bit. But then, of course, I was just lying there thinking of all the things I needed to do when I got up. For some reason this morning, it was the thought of making and packing school lunches for Cubby, Charlie, and Jack that seemed like a crushing burden.

"I don't waaaant to," said my inner four-year-old. "It's too haaaard."

And then I remembered: Hey! They could BUY LUNCH! Yes! This is the solution! I could be lazy this morning and send them to school with notes to their teachers that they would eat the cafeteria lunch just like literally EVERY OTHER child at their school. I checked the school lunch menu calendar (which, yes, I keep on my refrigerator even though they almost never buy lunch) and saw that it was even something they would probably all eat: chicken and dumplings.

So I sat down with my coffee with every intention of ignoring the lunch bags and all those little Tupperware containers and the ice packs and the bread knife and everything else that I use every school morning to pack lunches.

But then, Poppy and I (she gets up early, so it's mostly the two of us in the mornings) went into the kitchen about 6:20 a.m. to start breakfast and it's like my body moved all on its own and . . . made lunches. Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cheese, and oranges. I sliced the bread. I put it all in the stupid Tupperware things. I even peeled the oranges. And the whole time, I was thinking, "WHY AM I DOING THIS? I was going to have them buy lunch!"

I guess I figured if I had to be in the kitchen anyway making breakfast, then it wasn't that much more effort to make the lunches too.

I don't know. I think I'm just crazy. Or maybe it's just that nothing seems as daunting at 6:20 a.m. as it does at 4:30 a.m. Probably that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the same. Not with children's lunches, but with other things. I guess the lunch packing habit is so ingrained in you, or like you said, the time might make a difference.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Yes, probably that.

Anonymous said...

This just proves that you are a well oiled Mom Machine who just gets on and does everything without even making an effort - without even thinking! Either that or you are a Stepford Wife going doo-da.

Lindsay C said...

There must have been a small part of you that never planned to let the kids have school lunch. I think it would take illness, death, or some intense challenge to actually have the kids eat school lunch instead of having you make it for them. Do you think if you had actually given the kids money for school lunch and let them buy lunch would you have felt guilty about it? As someone who prefers to eat from home/at home I know that I would feel guilty if I skipped making my lunch for work and then had to waste money on food from the employer who pays me. Either way ... great job getting the lunches made and hopefully one day when you really need a break you can use the school lunch to your advantage! :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Europafox: I prefer to believe it's option number one, though I am going to try to use the phrase "going doo-da" in conversation today.

Loving: Guilt usually is a factor. Curse of motherhood.