Monday, February 18, 2019

The Eminently Quotable Charlie


If you have ever had the pleasure of having a whip-smart kid (or two), you know that they are often very, very funny. Charlie has been my most consistently unintentionally funny child of late. He gave me a Valentine he made at school that said, "Mom, I love you when you . . . give me leftovers."

I just love a low bar.

The other day when Jack was arguing with me about something, Charlie told him to stop arguing with me because I know best. I felt compelled to point out that Charlie himself argues with me all the time. "Yeah," he replied, "But I am always right."

At the school pep rally, the elementary kids--all eight of them--were playing a game of Family Feud. When it was Charlie's turn, his opponent buzzed in first to answer the question, "What shape is a basketball?" "Circle!" she announced triumphantly. Everyone cheered, the person in charge prepared to move on . . . and Charlie grabbed her arm and had a quick conversation with her that resulted in her handing him the microphone and him announcing very firmly into the microphone, "A basketball is a sphere."


This photo is also funny, as the hot air blowing out of the furnace has given skinny Charlie a distinctly muscle-bound appearance.

And just so we don't leave out that other smart kid we have in residence . . .

The other morning when Cubby was making himself some eggs for breakfast, he informed A. that I discourage him from cooking (totally untrue, by the way). "Because," he went on, "Jack and Charlie like my cooking better and she's jealous."

Yup. Those smart kids sure are fun.

6 comments:

Gemma's person said...

I am looking forward to the day Cubby cooks for everyone,a lot.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how funny! You gotta love it! I so agree with the above comment.
Linda

tu mere said...

It's great (most of the time,I'm sure) that they feel comfortable speaking their minds with y'all. No stifeling of creative discussion in your house. Love Charlie + other stories. You could go "Kids Say the Funniest Things" show, if it was still airing.

mil said...

Leftovers? So no gustatory surprises?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

MiL: I suspect he made that Valentine on the day he had leftover spaghetti from Cubby's birthday dinner for lunch at school.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaah! That arm grabbing correction cracked me up!! I could almost see it as you explained it. You are going to have A TON OF FUN as your gang grow up! J xx