Friday, September 6, 2019

Friday Food: Beef, Beef, Pork


Friday

Short version: Italian sliders, pasta with pesto, sauteed summer squash, green beans

Long version: "Italian sliders" is what I call tiny hamburgers that are seasoned like meatballs (garlic, oregano, basil), but don't have any eggs or breadcrumbs in them.

I stole some of the pesto and grated Parmesan for the squash, and it was pretty much just as good as the pasta. The children do not agree.

Saturday

Short version: Customized food.

Long version: A., Charlie, and I ate the leftover sliders; Jack and Poppy ate the rest of the hotdogs; Cubby ate the last two spicy chicken fillets we got from Ray. All the children ate the leftover pasta. A. ate the rest of the leftover rice. A. and I both ate some roasted peppers and onions I made when I was baking bread earlier in the day.

Just as complicated as it sounds, yes.

Sunday

Short version: Brisket, bread and butter, sauteed green beans, sauteed cabbage/carrots/onions, vanilla ice cream with a choice of chocolate shell or baked apples

Long version: The brisket went in before we went to church--with only salt, pepper, chopped onion, apple cider vinegar, and water--and cooked from 7 a.m. to noon. I sliced it and warmed it with barbecue sauce at dinnertime.

At the same time I was cooking the brisket, I baked some sweet potatoes and a loaf of zucchini bread, with a few extra zucchini muffins. Except I forgot to put in the butter I had melted in the microwave.

Yes. I forgot to put in the butter. Such a classic "Kristin following a recipe" moment. (This recipe, to be specific.)

I was going to give the loaf of zucchini bread to Rafael, because he supplied the zucchini I used to make it and he always drops pretty obvious hints about zucchini bread whenever he gives us zucchini. I tasted one of the muffins, and they were amazingly good considering that a major ingredient was left out, but they definitely didn't have that nice zucchini bread texture. So I decided to keep this butter-less loaf and make another one for Rafael that has fat in it.

I'm nice like that.

It's nice to know that you can actually make zucchini bread completely fat-free should you run out of oil or something. Not that I'm ever without some source of fat, but anything's possible.

Monday

Short version: Lamb ribs, fried plantain, rice, cucumber slices

Long version: This is the very last of the lamb we butchered in April. A. was in the charge of the ribs, as always. And as always, he marinated them in vinegar and a ton of garlic, then grilled them.

The plantain was a new one for us. A. had it with a breakfast meal he got at a restaurant a couple of months ago and really liked it, so when we saw them in the city a couple of weeks ago, I bought one. I looked up various recipes for fried plantain, and then just kind of . . . fried it.


It looked like a slightly more yellow banana, and tasted pretty much like that, too.

I used a cast-iron skillet, as I always do, and coconut oil. Nothing else but salt. Some recipes actually tell you to coat the slices in sugar, but mine was so ripe that it already tasted almost like a banana, so I didn't use any sugar.

They browned well, and were nice and crispy, but only A. and Poppy liked it. Oh well. It was fun to try something different.

Tuesday

Short version: Ribeye steaks, fried bread, sauteed mushrooms and green beans

Long version: This must not have been a very satisfying dinner, because everyone came back to the kitchen about thirty minutes later for thick slices of bread with butter and jelly.

Or maybe they just really like bread with jelly. Can't really blame them for that one.

Wednesday

Short version: Stir-fry with peanut butter sauce, rice, Otter Pops

Long version: This was Jack's first day of school--the preschool starts almost a month later than the other students--so I made his favorite dinner, using chunks I cut off a big pork sirloin roast, plus onion, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, and green beans.

The Otter Pops came from Miss Amelia. Apparently people just keep Otter Pops on hand around here on the off chance a kid might come along and require some luridly colored frozen sugar. I know this because this is the third time my children have been handed these unexpectedly. They don't mind.

Thursday

Short version: Barbecue meatballs, garlic bread, frozen peas

Long version: It seems stupid to be serving frozen peas when we have all these green beans coming out of the garden, but Charlie requested them, so I did.

It was really too hot to be broiling and baking meatballs and bread, but I did it anyway. And I have no regrets.


Neither did Super Poppy.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


4 comments:

mil said...

Recently I found in Wegman's some new single-ingredient pastas made with chickpea flour, red lentils, or green pea flour. With lots of pesto or fresh red sauce, they are OK. I have no idea what I ate on what days, but last night, I sauted onions and green pepper in the remaining fat from three nice slices of bacon and scrambled in some eggs and cream cheese. With a couple of corn tortillas and a glass of red wine, I was quite satisfied, after having not eaten enough all of my busy day.

Earlier in the week I had potatoes with olive oil and basil. They were tasty--

Anonymous said...

Your Italian sliders sound delicious.
Once again I didn't make a list, so some main dishes we had this week were:
zucchini pizza, chicken patties, chicken salad sandwiches, chicken on top of spinach, lettuce & cabbage, scrambled eggs,
sides: sweet corn, green beans, salad, broccoli
Linda

Tara said...

We were sitting around most of the week waiting for hurricane Dorian to declare itself, so it was a spotty week.
Thurs- Delivered pizza (pepperoni, tomato and onion for me, meat lovers for him)
Wed-Jambalaya and roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Tues - Egg, bacon and mushroom strata and salad
Monday - salad and leftovers
Sunday - grilled steak/green pepper rolled together, grilled pork, potatoes and corn. And raspberry cream cheese cake
Saturday - grilled spicy chicken sausages and hot dogs, tater tots, frozen veggies

Gemma's person said...

I fix bananas in cast iron, little butter and brown sugar.
Bread and jelly makes a good dessert. Homemade bread just cannot be beaten. Extra good toasted , unless it is right out of the oven.