Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Coffee Update


Never fear: I can taste my coffee this morning.

This is particularly timely as we finally got cream again yesterday after a week without it. Coffee without cream is a sad thing.

The reason we were out of cream was because the tiny grocery store near us did indeed close last month. We made arrangements with the even tinier store in the other village to order milk, cream, eggs, and cheese that would be delivered with his regular order twice a week, but last week, there was no delivery on Thursday.

No, I do not know why there was just a no-show on the part of the delivery person. These things happen in Extremely Rural America, especially in New Mexico.

Anyway.

The next-closest source of cream is sixty miles away. I must admit that I did try to talk myself into needing some other things just so I could drive 120 miles round-trip for cream, but . . . I didn't. Because that's crazy, right? Right.

So sub-par milk* in the coffee it was. For a whole week. Boo.

But the next order was delivered yesterday to the tinier store, and so we have cream again. Which is in my coffee at this very moment. Which I can actually taste. Alleluia.

That's all. Have a lovely day.

* We were close to running out of that, too, so I had to tell the children no milk drinking on Saturday because we weren't getting any more milk until Sunday after church. Ostensibly, this was so they could have their Sunday Cereal, but really it was because I was not about to face the craziness of a Sunday morning with only black coffee. 

5 comments:

Gemma's person said...

I assume you have tried powdered creamer and milk , in case of and instead of being out of either.
Almost like LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE...oh, no, I said it and made me think they will need a milk animal now...can you milk sheep??? The better question would be will they let you.

Anonymous said...

Can you buy those little individual creamers (as found in restaurants) to keep for emergencies? Or, is there a nearby restaurant that would sell you come cream for emergencies? I understand your panic and am sharing my emergency solutions...

tu mere said...

Boo for cold and no cream. Yey for taste and coffee that's made the way you like like it. For the best of reasons, a mother can only be expeced to sacrifice so much; especially when it comes to the choice or milk for all or black coffee and chickory as a morning start! So glad to hear that the close store has stepped up for y'all and is ordering your staples.

mil said...

So--I just read on "The Spruce Eats" that one can freeze heavy cream in ice cube trays. I recommend stashing a bag of cream cubes in the freezer. The blog was all about what to do with extra cream??? As if that were a problem.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to add a cow to your farm. :)
Linda