Thursday, January 23, 2020

Everyone:


There were many comments on yesterday's post that warrant a response, so I'm just gonna go ahead and make yet another post about our Very Important Cream to answer them all.

I'm touched you all care as much as I do about this vital issue.

Okay. So . . .

G.P.: You can indeed milk sheep, if they have lambs. We have done it! And made ricotta with the milk!  A few problems, though: 1) We have range sheep, which are pretty wild and not really the sort to submit easily to milking. Not that any sheep really does. 2) We have Merinos, which do not make a lot of milk and really need all they do make for their lambs. 3) Sheep milk doesn't have separated cream, like cow's milk. The fat is just right in there with the milk. So it's more like richer milk, not cream.

Anonymous: Sadly, we are cream snobs. None of us like creamers of any sort, be they powders, liquid, whatever. In fact, we still bemoan the fact that we can no longer get the raw cream from the Jersey cows up the road. And neither of the two restaurants near us have real cream. Probably because they can't get it easily, either. :-)

MiL: Definitely going to try freezing cream. Although I don't seem to be doing well consistently keeping a supply of milk in my freezer. Perhaps I'm still in denial about the store closing.

Linda: Ugh. Dairy animals. SO MUCH WORK. And I am SO LAZY. I am fighting becoming a dairy maid as long as I can, although I can't say I would never do it. More likely to be a goat than a cow, though. Less milk to handle. Less feed needed, too.

Okay! I think I have addressed all comments. We can all carry on with our lives now. And the next time you stop at a grocery store near your house, please note all that lovely cream just sitting on the shelf within easy reach and know how lucky you are.

4 comments:

mil said...

I wish I could bring you some Hillside Cream. I don't think I can, though, because if I froze it, it would burst the containers, and if I didn't, it would turn into butter (which would not be the end of the world).

Gemma's person said...

There's a thought , just use butter in your coffee.

Lindsay C said...

@Gemma's person ... I know a lot of people do the bullet coffee with butter ... so it'd definitely an option BUT something tell's me that Kristen just really wants some cow's milk creamer! 🥛

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yup, butter in coffee is a ketosis diet thing called bulletproof coffee. A. and I have considered it, but honestly, neither of us has the capacity to be blending things first thing in the morning. You have to do that with the butter to get it to incorporate into your coffee, otherwise you just have a butter slick on top of your coffee. Yuck. Plus, I move like a ninja in the morning when I make my coffee so as to avoid waking the sleeping dragon (Poppy), so roaring machines are definitely out at 4 a.m.

I have been a little curious about it, but not enough to do it.